Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was running a breastfeeding drop-in at the midwifery clinic...I arrived a little early to open things up. Then temptation got the best of me and I "borrowed" a doppler, stretched out on the couch and found my baby's heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so incredible (although I did feel bad DH wasn't there to share). I'm almost 13 weeks and my next appointment isn't until about 15 weeks and I just couldn't wait any longer.

The only thing is...this still doesn't feel very real. I'm not sure if I can explain very well but I knew I was pregnant before I took the test, noticed changes in my body etc etc. I then had two positive home tests. Then because of feeling so good I decided to check "for sure" and did serial hCGs...now I've heard the hb...BUT...I can't seem to wrap my head around being pregnant!! I think this is normal - but is it realy?

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Hi, Turtlemum, I think a lot of us can relate!
Even after I start feeling kicks, it's kind of a hard concept to grasp that the little one kicking us is going to be our child, our baby. It's a little human being. I almost think it's too wild of a concept for the mind to wrap around! And, that's just with kicks which are a constant once we get further along. So, it's not surprising that you feel that way with a test and a heart beat. I mean... just imagine what our poor partners go through... they don't even feel any of the physical changes, yet there's this odd concept of "child".

What a ride this pregnancy thing is. Best to buckle in and enjoy the hills.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I'm kind of relieved to know that other ladies are feeling like their pregnancy is surreal too.

For me, we had a couple of "false alarms" before we actually got pregnant, and weirdly enough, those seemed vividly real to me. To the point where when I found out 2 weeks later (we're using NFP) that I actually wasn't pregnant those times, it felt like our baby died. So now that I actually AM pregnant, I guess it just doesn't seem possible. Maybe it'll feel real after the baby starts kicking.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Ok, Taedareth, here I was JUST telling a friend of mine that when I KNOW I'm pregnant... I'm not. And, when I KNOW I'm NOT pregnant... I end up getting a
So... you're not alone in THAT either!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had that feeling very strong through out my first pregnancy. I must have told my DH a million times "There really is a baby in there!" the night of my first ultrasound. Then come delivery time, Aric had failed an NST so I was sent right to labor/delivery on a different floor and remember feeling afraid I would be sent home because there was no baby while riding the elevator. 50+ hours later there was a 9 lb baby boy! I have had a couple of losses since that pregnancy so the feeling for me has morphed a little into a fear of losing the baby and still ending up with no baby come December.

I like Spark's comment about pregnancy! It really sums up what to expect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spark

What a ride this pregnancy thing is. Best to buckle in and enjoy the hills.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by atozmama
Then come delivery time...remember feeling afraid I would be sent home because there was no baby while riding the elevator. 50+ hours later there was a 9 lb baby boy!
:LOL :LOL That's exactly how I felt at my first appointment..."geez I hope I really am pregnant because if not I just wasted one hour of this woman's time!"... I can't imagine going into labour still not believing but if it can happen to you it'll probably happen to me :LOL

Thanks for all your responses...Spark, you're always so reassuring!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Quote:

Ok, Taedareth, here I was JUST telling a friend of mine that when I KNOW I'm pregnant... I'm not. And, when I KNOW I'm NOT pregnant... I end up getting a
not alone at *all*

There were a few 'false alarms' before this #3. The orange juice was the kicker. With both M and K, I could drink GALLONS of orange juice EVERY STINKING DAY for at least the first three months of pregnancy.

A few different times, just before good ol' AF was due, I would HAVE to have some OJ. But... then AF showed up.

Of course, this time around I *KNEW* I could not be pregnant -- orange juice tasted DISGUSTING to me at the time. But... of course.... here I am, due in December

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtlemum
:LOL :LOL That's exactly how I felt at my first appointment..."geez I hope I really am pregnant because if not I just wasted one hour of this woman's time!"... I can't imagine going into labour still not believing but if it can happen to you it'll probably happen to me :LOL

Thanks for all your responses...Spark, you're always so reassuring!
ack! i'm not the only one! i've spent so much time convinced i'm not ACTUALLY pregnant and am going to look like a big idiot! :LOL

·
Registered
887 Posts
10 days post ovulation but it still seems totally not real. I so understand. With my first child, it was like it was easy to acknowledge and never a doubt. But with this one...it still doesn't seem real even though it was VERY much planned and orchestrated. Hearing the heartbeat helped but I think when I start feeling major movements that is when it will be more real in my head.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

same here! With Jake we tried for over a year and so many times I just knew that I was pregnant - and wasn't. The month I did get pregnanct I was totally convinced that I wasn't. In fact...don't kick me off for this story... but each month leading up to the pregnant month I was so careful. After I knew I ovulated (we obsessively charted) I wouldn't drink or take a tylenol or be around people smoking, etc, etc. The month I actually was pregnant and thought for sure wasn't I remember thinking it's never going to happen...screw it. So
: we went to Howl at the Moon and had a rip roarin' time. The next morning I woke up with a terrible hangover and realized my period was late. So dh said I should take a test. I said it was stupid to take it - I knew for sure I wasn't pregnant!! But he wore me down and I took it - and it was Jake! I felt like the biggest jerk in the world. I remember crying hysterically saying that I was already a bad mom and the baby wasn't even born yet. Of course, all's well that end's well but that's my really bad mom story for the day.

With this baby the month before we concieved I was completely 100% sure I was pregnant - which I obvioulsy was not. And again was shocked to see 2 lines when I actaully was (although this time I didn't have a pounding headache while viewing them
)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I don't know why it surprises me when I see the
but both times I was in SHOCK!! I still look at Josie and am amazed, she'll be a year in less than a month and I still can't believe she came from me sometimes. I am so glad I am feeling better, because now that I am I think I am enjoying the pregnancy more, with josie I couldn't wait to show, and to feel kicks and I was so nervous/excited/scared about the delivery part, and the WHOLE thing was surreal, even now its like a distant memory. This time I am just where I am with it, not looking forward. Of course I say that now, a few weeks ago all I wanted was for it to be the end so I could feel better. But I feel good now!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Despite having a (+) home kit test and another (+) test at my doctor's, and having breast pain, nausea and emotional yo-yo stuff, I still wonder if it's really "real". Is that not hilarious?! :LOL

I'm really hoping I get to hear a heartbeat at my next MW appt (next Thursday). Because maybe that will make it more "real". But if I'm anything like you, then maybe it won't!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.