Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My dad just had an artery cleared that was 99.9% blocked and has high cholesterol. Does anyone know of any good links that can help my mom change the to good fats in their diets? They are not vegetarian, but do eat some meals that are meatless. All ideas welcome. TIA!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
What DH did to lower his (admittedly not to point your dad is at) cholesterol was to drop eggs from his diet completely. He also dropped butter and all transfats. Between his cholesterol and my allergies, we read labels religiously anymore.

He eats oatmeal for most breakfasts, or whole wheat toast. For "butter" he uses Smart Balance Light, but not much. Egg beaters are part of his options now too.

Beef is a rarity around here, and if we do have some, it's LEAN. I buy lean stew beef and grind it myself if we want to have hamburgers. Handled gently, it works. Our usual meats are chicken(white meat only) and lean pork.

When I cook for us and need to saute something, I use only olive oil, as little as will do the job.

A good first step is to just avoid all the transfats in so many processed foods. Then move on to adding the next level... They would probably benefit from talking to a nutritionist. Did the cardiologist not recommend one?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think someone talked to them briefly in the hospital and then they sent a bunch of info home with them. I was just looking for any additional info that I could send them. thanks

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
If this is a big change for them, I suggest they go one step at a time. Get into a No Transfats habit first, then drop real butter and go to only good oils (olive, canola, basically as much monounsaturated as possible), then drop the dark meats...

Or in a different order
This would be where the doc's or nutritionist's guidance would be helpful--in choosing what is most critical to do first and/or at the same time.

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm only 30, but I also have high cholesterol (genetic). My doc recommended that I eat lots of whole grains every day (oatmeal, barley, millet, quinoa, whole-grain wheat pasta, kashi pilaf, etc.), eliminate whole-milk dairy products from my diet, and eat a ton of fruits and veggies.

I have also been trying to get enough omega-3's every day (flax seed oil, fish, walnuts, etc.)

And, of course, EXERCISE that is cardiovascular. I have always done some exercise (walking, yoga, etc.) but I've had to up my running to 3-5 times per week.

My mom has made a ton of dietary changes as well but given her age, they have prescribed a cholesterol-lowering drug for her, as she is close to the age that her father passed away due to a heart attack. I am hoping that I will not have to take that same drug in 20 years.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Mamacarey: I'm so glad your dad was able to get that blockage cleared out before anything worse happened! He's very fortunate.

I would highly recommend taking a look at Dr. Andrew Weil's book Eating Well For Optimum Health. He has a whole chapter that explains *good* fats. Weil is a very credible source, and he espouses an excellent balance between Western and Eastern medicine.

His explanation of fats is very thorough and helpful, and he includes some great recipes. There's also a Web site: www.drweil.com

My best to you and your family!
K

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
My cholesterol was 256 a bit over a year ago. Last it was checked several months ago, it was 144 with the good cholesterol at 63- an excellent number!

What I did was cut out partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. Don't eat junk food and eat more whole grains, fresh fruits and veg. I don't eat red meat that often either- instead, I have tofu or fish or the occasional chicken. I also got into a regular exercise routine and have kept to it. Both of this have helped me lose 60 lbs. (From size 16 to 2!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts