Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
8,471 Posts
What DH did to lower his (admittedly not to point your dad is at) cholesterol was to drop eggs from his diet completely. He also dropped butter and all transfats. Between his cholesterol and my allergies, we read labels religiously anymore.

He eats oatmeal for most breakfasts, or whole wheat toast. For "butter" he uses Smart Balance Light, but not much. Egg beaters are part of his options now too.

Beef is a rarity around here, and if we do have some, it's LEAN. I buy lean stew beef and grind it myself if we want to have hamburgers. Handled gently, it works. Our usual meats are chicken(white meat only) and lean pork.

When I cook for us and need to saute something, I use only olive oil, as little as will do the job.

A good first step is to just avoid all the transfats in so many processed foods. Then move on to adding the next level... They would probably benefit from talking to a nutritionist. Did the cardiologist not recommend one?

· Registered
8,471 Posts
If this is a big change for them, I suggest they go one step at a time. Get into a No Transfats habit first, then drop real butter and go to only good oils (olive, canola, basically as much monounsaturated as possible), then drop the dark meats...

Or in a different order
This would be where the doc's or nutritionist's guidance would be helpful--in choosing what is most critical to do first and/or at the same time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.