Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clearly remember how miserable my heartburn was during the last part of my pregnancy with DD. Now it's back
: It's miserable. Am I the only one dealing with this? It seems so early to already have it. Sleeping on my incline pillow from my last pregnancy isn't helping at all.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Mine has started earlier this time, too. I eat almonds to help a little (raw), but yeah - it's irritating.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was just going to start a thread on this. I am not sure if its an acid problem or heartburn since I never have these problems. I have burning in my throat at night and I think I am going to have to start taking something for it
does anyone have any good suggestions???

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Usually I can drink a glass of milk and it goes away long enough for me to fall asleep. I was thinking about buying some mylanta. If it gets too bad, I might have to take something like pepcid or tagamet

Does anyone know if papaya enzymes really help? I've heard they can help but I don't want to buy any if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had a little trouble too, but it's been when I was sick with other issues (upper GI bug, etc) and spent a lot of time laying down because of it. I have a liquid calcium/magnesium suppliment and i noticed that the heartburn was better after taking it. I'm guessing basically a tums effect there. Worked great though and really good for ya too.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ombrooklyn View Post
ugh! Mine just started 2 days ago. I guess it hit us all about the same time. Baking soda does the trick for me. Works instantly!
How do you take it???

This is so new for me and it stinks!!! Even PB&J seems to give me issues

·
Registered
861 Posts
Me too! I've been chomping down rolaids every night because that seems to be the ONLY thing that helps. I've tried limiting acidic foods, salt, etc and my stomach is completely indifferent to all of it.

Sometimes yogurt will give me enough reprieve to get to sleep, but not usually.

I keep reading that the hormone that causes heartburn is the one that stimulates hair growth on your baby. I'm convinced I'm incubating a wolf child. We'll have to shave her before we take pictures!

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
I keep reading that the hormone that causes heartburn is the one that stimulates hair growth on your baby. I'm convinced I'm incubating a wolf child. We'll have to shave her before we take pictures!

Someone should bump this thread when we have our babies. Wouldn't it be fun to find out if that's true? Even with the heartburn, I'm betting on having a bald baby.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've had heartburn really bad this time as well. I had been taking a Zantac 150 in the morning and eating tums for "break through" heartburn. It got to the point where it wasn't working anymore and my OB had me start taking Prilosec OTC. I've been taking it for about a week now and have had no heartburn at all!

I don't know if you are opposed to taking medications, but it might be worth asking your midwife/OB about it

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tankgirl136 View Post
How do you take it???

This is so new for me and it stinks!!! Even PB&J seems to give me issues

A teaspoon of baking soda into 8 0z. of h2o. Stir and drink. Doesn't even taste bad.

·
Registered
471 Posts
papaya enzymes worked wonders for me. I'd just eat one after having a meal or first thing in the morning and I was FINE. I couldn't live without them in my last pregnancy.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Last time I was pg I had terrible heartburn starting at 6 weeks or so. I kept saying I was gestating a monkey.
Turns out DD had NO hair. Just a few wisps.

I have it again this time. I have been on Zantac since 6 weeks and I swear by Rolaids Softchews- they work so much better than the hard ones- for the "breakthrough" heartburn. Oh, and a glass of milk every night (either in cereal or with cookies or another baked good
) really helps before bed.

I know papaya enzymes really help some folks, just not me. Worth a shot, though.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have been having heartburn earlier this time, too. What has helped so far are the papaya enzyme chewables and homeopathic nux vomica 30X.
The nux certainly works better for me, but the papaya takes the edge off, if that makes any sense.
I'll try an apple next time.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Tums stopped working for me in the first trimester, so I moved on to Zantac. Now those aren't always working- so the doctor prescribed something else LOL
I have issues with heartburn when not pregnant though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.