Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Sometimes heartburn can be a sign of too little stomach acid. There's a self test you can do to find out, but I can't remember the exact protocol-something like taking 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. You're supposed to start burping almost immediately, or at least in the first couple of minutes if your digestion is working properly. It's been discussed quite a bit on the Native-Nutrition Yahoo group, but I can't find the post that describes the test in detail using Onibasu.com.

It can't hurt to take some apple cider vinegar and other fermented acid-y drinks before meals. I sometimes go through periods where I take supplemental hydrochloric acid capsules before meals to help my digestion. I'll slowly increase the amount of capsules, and then work down to zero, or to when my own digestion gets a kick-start.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
The test is: 1 tsp of baking soda in 8 oz of water, drink it first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything. If your stomach acid is adequate, you should burp within 5 minutes. Another way to test is when she feels heartburn, take 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar mixed with water, or 1/4 tsp. of baking soda mixed with water. The vinegar will help if she has too little stomach acid, and the baking soda will help if she has too much stomach acid. Personally I'd try the vinegar first in this case as low stomach acid is much more common than too much stomach acid. If that makes it worse, then she can try baking soda to neutralize the stomach acid. Or she can just do the baking soda test first.

If she has too little stomach acid, she can take Betaine HCL capsules/tablets with meals. Eventually her stomach should figure it out and start producing enough stomach acid and then she won't need the supplement. I don't know how to treat high stomach acid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.