Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having quite a heat wave right now in the humid midwest and even though we're hiding inside with the A/C on all day, DD is still getting heat rash in her diaper area.
I am using bG and HH right now...and the HH really seem to hold the heat in, whereas her skin stays much cooler in the bG. Anyone else notice this? Maybe it's the combination of fleece plus 2mil PUL in the Happy Heiny's that keep them so warm. When DD is wearing the bG not only does her skin stay much cooler under the diaper but the actual outside of the diaper feels cool to the touch too.
I was on the verge of rushing over to Cotton Babies (yes, I live in St. Louis!) to buy a bunch of bG when I realized: the bG with the rise all the way unsnapped are about the same size as a HH medium, both of which my DD are wearing at the tender age of 4 months. I don't think the bG are going to be anywhere near one-size for DD so I'd better not risk investing a bunch of money in something it looks like she's going to outgrow in a month or two.
So I'd love to hear from anyone who has solved the heat rash problem. I like pocket diapers a lot...but maybe a fleece+PUL diaper doesn't make sense in the summer?

·
Registered
172 Posts
When we diapered my oldest ( now 3 and potty trained ), this was before the BG was out. We used HH exclusively~
We were in the AC a lot, but she was very sensitive to the heat. Heat rash was pretty much a constant thing ( I remember in desperation I switched to sposies, but it made it worse)

Here is what I found helped:
Frequent, frequent changings. It was much worse when the diaper was wet and she got hot. If she peed, I changed her, it really helped the rash. Also, corn starch at every change.

As far as the BG being one-size, I know my elastic is way stretchier in the BG than the HH. If I pull them out as far as they can go, the BG stretches a lot father than it looks like it could. I have seen them IRL on some pretty big toddlers, so I do believe they will go to the weight range they state. My second daughter is 9 months old, and isn't as nearly sensitive to the heat as Abby was, but we are mostly in BG's now, so it is hard to tell-LOL

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I live in Houston and my ds gets so hot in microfleece or suedecloth. It is pretty nasty. What you can do is buy some inexpensive PFs (infants or regulars) and use them trifolded or quadfolded in your dipes. In other words, use your HH and BG's as covers. That way you will still get use from them but soft cotton will be touching your baby's bum.

I would not wear poly panties in the summer! Cotton all the way baby.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I live in Houston and my ds gets so hot in microfleece or suedecloth. It is pretty nasty. What you can do is buy some inexpensive PFs (infants or regulars) and use them trifolded or quadfolded in your dipes. In other words, use your HH and BG's as covers. That way you will still get use from them but soft cotton will be touching your baby's bum.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amberthesugarcat

ITA! I have also noticed that my sons get really hot in pockets. In the winter, if I'm trying to stay really warm, I'll wear a fleece jacket under a waterproof one - just like a pocket! Check out this thread, and notice that the child's skin in the diaper area was nearly as hot in Fuzzibunz as in a sposie, but much cooler under a fleece or wool cover. We're doing all wool and fleece covers in this hot summer, and DS is having no rash issues.

Two wool wraps that are great over a tri-folded prefold and are both *machine washable* are Bumpy wool wraps (avail from lots of WAHMs) and Little Beetle wool wraps(www.tinybirdsorganics.com or www.betterforbabies.com). The Little Beetle ones are unbelieveably soft too. If you don't want to deal with wool, you could check out the new Swaddlebees fleece covers and just lay a tri-folded PF in them. A few SB fleece covers would be cheaper than buying a bunch of BG. The wool wraps are more expensive, but you don't need as many of them beause they don't have to be washed very often.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I don't know about the heat side of it--but as far as the one-size aspect. My kids are 19 months and 3.5 and both wear BG with no problem (excellent fit). Both of my kids were huge babies -- my youngest was almost 10 pounds at birth. The BG fits them at 25 pounds and 35 pounds.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I am in the midwest too, and is it hot or what?!?! This is nuts! Well here we have resorted to lots of nekkidness for baby(he's 20mo) and fitteds, but that's it. I wouldn't touch an AIO with a tenfoot pole right now, it's just too stinking hot! Maybe if we had central air, but I am still dreaming that day while we are all hot and sticky.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments, ladies. I knew you'd give me some fresh ideas for this heat rash situation. Thought I'd update since we're not the only ones with heat rash issues!

I've experimented with changing the HHs more frequently (like once an hour or after any pee) and that really hasn't helped the rash. She does't get a rash with the suedecloth/bG at all for some reason. [As a side note, before we used the HHs, she had all PUL/fleece pocket diapers in a smaller size that I sewed and no rash with those. Was it the cooler weather when she was smaller? Or the fact that I used Malden Mills fleece in my dipes?]

Since DD moved up to size M we only have 12 HHs and 3 bG and I've been washing daily, so I do need more diapers. I think I am going to pick up some more bG after all. I appreciate the comments on the sizing. Over the last week, DD has started being able to roll back to front and front to back and already I think she's starting to slim a bit. She has such huge thigh rolls! But I guess a baby's shape does change a lot as they grow.

I know what you mean about wearing cotton, especially in the heat. I personally only wear cotton undies. But having damp cotton against the skin seems irritating too. So I'd like to stay with pockets if possible. At the same time, more naked time at home helps a lot too. We've gotten the rash under control with the nakey treatment. Now if the weather would only cool down!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts