Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little one is 13 days old. Around a week old I started noticing little red bumps. The most obvious was around his lips but they came and went on his arms and legs. At 8 days we had a pp visit with my mw and I pointed out the spots on his face and she said just baby acne. At that time, he didn't have any spots anywhere else. The next day I woke up with mastitis :( spent 2 days in bed with a fever. Which meant baby spent 2 days snugged up to a very warm body! The rash really took off at this point, which makes me suspect heat. But shouldn't heat rash go away with some good airing out and cooling off? In the worst spots it's getting raw looking. It's worst in creases like his neck and elbow bends, which does seem to suggest heat vs contact rash.

But then I'm suspicious it's the detergent, especially because ds2 had a very similar looking rash as a newborn (that was not present in any creases) that went away like magic when we switched from a cheap detergent to 7th generation. We use country save now, but dh is at the store literally right now picking up some 7th generation because I figure we should at least try, just in case. If it is, we'll have to figure out something different to wash diapers in (ugh).

Anyway, would love any tips. I was putting coconut oil on until I saw that heat rash is caused by clogged sweat glands and worried that could make it worse. Help?

uploadfromtaptalk1407783712541.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
702 Posts
What a little cutie. COngrats on your newbie:smile: Can't hurt to check all detergents and bath products. Their skin is so darn sensitive at this age. Lots of hormone changes are going on that cause acne. I think its pretty normal for babies to have that irritated funky cheese stuff going on in the creases. DD got it bad in her arm pits and it was winter! Keep it really clean and dry. Lots of air if possible. I also used a organic nipple cream on it so the skin was slicker. Helped with the friction. Also just a thought - any signs of yeast going on with you? Hope you get it figured out mama!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Newborns get lots of skin spots as JustJenny said. I can't see the picture well (on my phone). Do some of the red spots have white centres, like tiny pustules? If so, it's probably erythema toxicum. Very common. Gets worse with heat. Totally benign, despite the name :) You don't need to do anything and definitely don't be tempted to squeeze or pop the pustules. It will resolve by itself over the first few weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts