Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I finally get to post something after a long break! lol!

My friend had an adorable baby on Saturday and wants to cloth diaper. I gave her Abi's old infant prefolds but the rather large and wide 10 pound baby is barely fitting in them. She was going to use infant prefolds until she made up her mind what kind she wanted to get next. She is going to have to order something fast though, I give her 2 more weeks max. in the infant prefolds.

Her baby is nursing, nursing, nursing, and wetting majorly. Soaking the infant prefolds. Abi was a light/moderate wetter so I have no real experience with heavy wetters. What can my friend get that won't break the bank?

She is most interested right now in the concept of onesize dipes. I loaned her a couple ME OS to try but I am guessing the baby will soak them if she's that heavy of a wetter. She also likes the simplicity of prefolds but the premium ones are very, very bulky on the baby right now as you can imagine. She's not sure they will hold the pee flood either. Still trying them out.

Suggestions? Links? I'll get her over to this board when she's feeling better. As you can imagine she's a little sore and mostly lying down taking it easy.

Darshani

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm not sure if you've ever diapered a newborn or not but I was in SHOCK when I diapered mine. My first wasnt CD until she was 2 months so when the second one came around I was surprised at how wet they were!

I changed a NB dipe every hour and when I posed asking if this was normal- apparently, it is.

Maybe add a doubler to get a little more in there without too much all round bulk (A folded terry wash cloth on the outside of the dipe between dipe and cover worked well for me too in a pinch)

You might also want to introduce her to pocket dipes... the inside can be soaking wet and her baby wont be so soaked and clammy. She can still use the prefolds too

HTH

·
Registered
813 Posts
I can SO relate. My ds was 10.6 when he was born 2 months ago and he can pee through anything in 30 minutes! LOL He has to use hemp...there's no way around it. Cotton just doesn't last very long on him. What about hemp fleece flats? Or hemp doublers? If she's worried about the wet feeling, she could always use a fleece liner. Hemp Fireflies work well for us, but if she's worried about the expense, that probably isn't the way to go unless she buys some used ones.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
The regular size prefolds are a nice transition between the infant and premium. Almost as big as the premiums but much less bulky.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
This sounds just like my dd at that age. I had to change my newborn dd every 1/2 hour with an infant cpf and MEOS were a total joke. She was also really plump (98%) for the first few months.

small ME sandy's + WAHM hemp doubler would be a good, easy to aquire diaper for a plump young baby. However, we did very well with gerber dsq at that age, these are pretty much the same as reg sized cpfs and she might be able to buy locally at BRU or similiar store.

FWIW, This fold is a great way to fit an oversized cpf on a smaller baby...

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/smo.../Twist&.view=t

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info!! She's on a budget but committed to cloth. Can't afford the real expensive stuff with her heavy wetter. The baby just lost her cord and they are trying the OS dipes today with the doublers tucked in. She says so far she likes them a lot and they fit just fine.

Darshani

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
No advice here, but just had to say I miss seeing your posts, and your ultrasounds pics are amazing!!!

Good luck helping your friend find the right dipes for her baby!
Debi

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was totally shocked with Ollie by how much he could pee, he soaked through infant prefants in less then an hour for probably the first month maybe a little more. Now that he's not nursing constantly he's slowed down a little bit. I've come up with a bit of a theory based on my babies lol they need to be changed as often as they eat. So Ollie who nursed every hour needs a change every hour. Shiah who nursed every 2 hours needed a changed every 2. At least as newborns. Anyone else notice anything like this?
Congrats to your friend.
Janessa

·
Registered
232 Posts
She might try using the ME onesize with a prefold inside as the doubler? Economical and if she needs more layers she can try adding some regular or hemp doublers into the prefold as she folds it. LOL I hope that makes sense.

TTYL,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.