Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is about 27lbs and we haven't carried him consistently in awhile. The last time we did he was at least 1-2lbs lighter than he is now. We where using a Moby (which I love!) and his legs turned really purple like the circulation was being cut off. I use a sling periodically for him while I cook and he gets fussy but I can't wear that long term because it kills my shoulders and back. We are wanting to go do some hinking soon and would like to take DS with us but having a hard time figuring out how. We've tried doing the back postion with the moby but really hard to get DS to hold still long enough for us to figure it out.

· Registered
52 Posts
IMO the moby isn't good for back carries since it is a stretchy wrap. Maybe try a woven wrap since they are super supportive and good for back carries. Or maybe a soft structured carrier like Ergo or Beco. My dd isn't that heavy but is 17 months old and I have found that these carriers work for me. Stretchy wraps like Moby generally aren't comfortable for babies over 18 lbs. I have had to give up my ring slings because a one shoulder carry just isn't comfortable for me any more.

· Registered
58 Posts
I would recommend a Beco or a Mei Tai (like the Baby Hawk) in a back carry. It is easier to get your baby into a back carry in the Beco (I have issues getting my son correctly sitting on my back in the Mei Tai)
But they are both awesome carriers and I never get sore wearing him all day or on long hikes.

· Registered
4,699 Posts
I had a very heavy toddler too.I got an Ergo.It was great.My husband and I could carry her for hours and it was easy for her to jump in and out of.It was especially nice when I took her to see my husband play at an outside festival.It was a huge crowd and I was afraid she would get trampled but she was so heavy I couldn't just hold her for very long any more.

· Registered
6,484 Posts
Ds is 30lbs & I carry him all. the. time. in an ergo. Dh likes it to. Alternatively we have a structured backpack carrier which dh likes - I don't find it as comfortable - but it does have a lot of room for extra stuff in the little attached backpack.

· Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Ergo. I carried DS (not particularly heavy, but I was pgs) in it until I was 8 mos pgs on my back. If you are still nursing, it's great for that too. Very comfortable and totally worth the money. If I had a dollar for every time I recommended ti to someone, I'd probably have a second one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.