Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My red heeler had developed (gradually-over the course of a couple years) a really curly/frizzy coat. It's really itchy this year, and he sheds constantly, no matter how often I brush him, he just has loose hair everywhere. I washed him with (my) moisturizing shampoo and made sure I had all the suds out, I think he's about 6 or so-I've wormed him (he's a mousing fool-they're only around in the winter under the hay, though) and I feed him PurinaOne Salmon and yogurt or something like that to appetite (he's holding his weight fine, so I don't think thats a problem)-plus he gets bacon grease whenever we have it (2-3x a month) and a fair amount of cod liver oil (a couple tsp about 3-4 days a week) or EFA pills (usually 2-3) on the off days of the CLO (and a fair amount of people food.
I'm a sucker, I admit it), plus whatever freezer meat I can spare for him to work on while its hot outside. He whines constantly-I always thought it was for attention, but I'm wondering if he doesn't whine because he's uncomfortable-he loves getting scratched. I've had his TSH tested, it's "normal" (of course, so is mine, but I still take Armour!) and changed foods several times-thinking there was something in that bugging him--

Do you suppose feeding him all raw would help his coat? I don't know what else to do! How do you do it? (I guess, rather, where do you go to get the "goods"? the store? a butcher shop? Whats the cost comparison?) Anyone have any other thoughts? The vet says he's just needy-but I don't think I believe that...

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I would never feed a fish-based kibble unless the dog was hideously allergic to everything else. The only breeds that tend to do well on fish are the traditional fish-eating dogs like Portuguese Water Dogs, and even then it's only a supplement to white or red meat.

I would DEFINITELY switch to a raw diet. There have been several recent threads on it--check out the "How many raw feeders" thread for details on instructions and price, and my site (in my signature) has a diet link with my explanation and sample menu.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions as you think about switching.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooh Joanna that was a dirty trick. I love blue danes!

Thanks for the info though-I didn't realize a fish based diet was a bad thing. Glad I asked. I'll look into the raw thing more-never really considered it.

dig your site, by the way...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
One of my rotts developed a shiney but curley coat on Nutro (The best petsmart has) He has been on raw for over 2 years and his coat is not curley at all anymore. I highly recommend raw. Its easy and cheap.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Our heeler, when we first got her....had a coat like you described. Plus, it was really greasy. I took her to a vet for another condition, her flea allergy, and he suggested a raw diet (Dr PItcarins) and it really made a HUGE difference. After I had dd 5 yrs later........and didnt have the time to make their dog food any more, I switched to a higher end natural diet. Her coat never went back to looking as bad as it did. It continued to look really good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts