Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a son who has been in the Early Intervention program. He has been diagnosed with Sensory Integration Dysfunction. I think that is what it is called. I have been advised to have him further evaluated. He is turning three in a couple weeks and will be going into the public school system. I am a bit nervous about it, since he is still very little. Does anyone have any experince with the public school system programs?

Thank you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There can be a dramamtic difference from one state to the next, one county to the next, even schools in the same county.

Our son is going into his 3rd year in the PS system (he just started kindergarten) and it's been great for him. We just got his autism diagnosis, but he's been receiving services as SID mostly.

So far so god.. we've had no problems with IEP, good communication with teachers and staff, all around doing ok.

I hope you have the same!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My ds is 3.5 and just started in the public school system this summer. We have had a pretty good experience thus far. I was really afraid but they really are great with him.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I really needed to hear some good things. I asked my son's therapist that comes every week what she thought. She told me it completely depends upon the teacher. She said she hadn't dealt with the teacher's at the school where he will be attending before. I asked how she thought my son would do and she gave me a look. He is very independant and stubborn. Also he is lacking in a great deal of social skills. He bites, hits, kicks, pinches, and all those lovely things. We use gentle discipline so I am not sure where he learned these things, but we have not found an effective way to stop it. I am hoping that maybe by going and interacting with other children and seeing that they don't do those things will help him. His therapist did tell me to give him about three weeks and make a desicion to keep him there or take him out. I am glad to know there is the option to pull him out if things aren't going well.

Thank you again for the replies. I am glad to meet you.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke with someone who is in the program and she said it was great for her daughter and they really do work with you. They start transitioning the kids slowly and really get them used to it. At first they go for an hour and then work up to a half day and then the full day when they are ready. They really work with you and your child. I really hope my son likes this program.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.