Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I think I finally figured out how to join the thread and want to introduce myself to you all. I'm Sarah, pregnant with my second, due Aug 16th or thereabouts. I've been battling some extreme nausea, but with some anti nausea medication and being in second trimester, it seems to be getting better :grin:

I'm considering a home birth with a midwife this time around. Does anyone have experience with home births? If so I'd love to ask some questions... my first baby was born at a birth center so this would be new for me. Nice to meet you all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Sarah, I am pretty new here too. I hope your nausea continues to improve. It seems like my first trimester symptoms are hanging around longer this pregnancy for some reason.

This is my 4th pregnancy, first baby was born in a hospital, second at my midwife's birth center, third was at our home. I guess I have run the gamut! I love home birth though! I think it is a wonderful option.

Other than my own home birth I have been to about 40 or so with my midwife since I work as her assistant. She has a very nice birth center so many mom's choose it to give birth, but some choose a home birth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Sarah,

I'm currently pregnant with my first baby, and I am a CNM. My final semester of school was spent with a homebirth midwife and we are planning a homebirth for ourselves. Feel free to ask any questions, not sure specifically what you are wondering about. Homebirth is awesome if you are a good candidate!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonderful! I a so glad to find some moms with home birth experience here! Hubby and I just met with our first midwife yesterday & I am feeling very strongly like that is what I want to do this time around. My first birth was easy (well maybe not EASY but uncomplicated) and it sounds like I am a good candidate, but I'll have to navigate my insurance to cover it.

Anyway I've heard that I'm supposed to meet with several midwives before I choose one but I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for and asking about to decide. Is it mostly a personality thing? Do you have any tips or guidance you can offer in how to choose a home midwife? I'm just so happy that I found some CPMs that take my insurance and they all seem very nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is great that you found several to choose from. What is important to you about birth? What qualities do you want your midwife to have? I would think about that first and try to form some questions from there. Some general Q's: What kind of background do they have? Do they use herbs more or meds more often? What do they do in X Y Z situation? How many assistants do they bring? How many births do they schedule each month and do they have a backup midwife they work with? What is their rate of transport?

And I do believe personality is important in a care provider, because no matter their training and/or education their personality will shine through and affect the care that they give. For example, how talkative they are, how religious they are, etc. You want to feel that you can trust them and you can communicate easily. A common complaint I hear along those lines is either that the midwife was too in the mother's face or too distant, which is completely dependent on personal taste. So if you have a strong feeling about wanting to be left alone to labor, or needing lots of support, I would make sure to see if the midwife can meet your needs. If you are able to get references that might help you decide.

I hope that was helpful, good luck with your meetings!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Good luck with your homebirth! This will be my 4th homebirth, but first assisted (the last three were planned unassisted). And our first in a different state...my last three were in Oregon. :) For me, I was super picky about a midwife, maybe because having done it by myself I learned what I really can and cannot tolerate from the "outside". I definitely wanted to be able to have a "friend" relationship with her, and to trust that she would respect me and what I've learned I need from birth. I feel like the one I found is a good fit, and I can only hope I'm right. I kinda think that I won't know for sure until the actual birth, since that's what so much of my experience centers around...so yeah, here's to hoping she's the one!!!!

Reactions: carlajoba

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good luck with your homebirth! This will be my 4th homebirth, but first assisted (the last three were planned unassisted). And our first in a different state...my last three were in Oregon. :) For me, I was super picky about a midwife, maybe because having done it by myself I learned what I really can and cannot tolerate from the "outside". I definitely wanted to be able to have a "friend" relationship with her, and to trust that she would respect me and what I've learned I need from birth. I feel like the one I found is a good fit, and I can only hope I'm right. I kinda think that I won't know for sure until the actual birth, since that's what so much of my experience centers around...so yeah, here's to hoping she's the one!!!!
I don't mean to take over this thread but 1babysmom I would love to hear more about your unassisted births. I am considering one this time but am still unsure. Mostly how did your family feel about it? How was it with the cleanup? Why are you choosing an attendant this time?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I don't mean to take over this thread but 1babysmom I would love to hear more about your unassisted births. I am considering one this time but am still unsure. Mostly how did your family feel about it? How was it with the cleanup? Why are you choosing an attendant this time?
We'll start with clean-up...there was pretty much nothing. But I chose to stay in our bathroom each time. We had towels on the floor. Only once did my water break on it's own, on the floor on the towels. The other two times I was in the bathtub at the time because that's where I felt best, and I had to break my water myself (quite the task!). I don't bleed much at all until after I deliver the placenta, so that wasn't ever really an issue (I did bleed some between baby and placenta with #4 , but again, I was in the bathtub).

My family (as far as parents, grandparents, IL's?) didn't REALLY get that it was going to be unassisted the first time. We'd kind of mentioned it, but I had a midwife briefly for prenatals (who was aware that we may choose to UC), so they didn't really get it until I was laboring with no midwife present. ;) They were pretty shocked/surprised at first, because it's pretty unheard of here. But then with my next two, nobody really said much about it. Occasionally people would ask if I had a midwife this time, but no one batted an eye if I'd say no. My hubby preferred it to a hospital birth any day, but he is relieved that we are having a MW this time because he feels like it takes a lot of pressure off of him (even though I do it primarily on my own, the "man" in him still feels responsible ;) ). He's also a paramedic so even though our experiences have really helped him change his idea about what birth can be like (and he's AMAZING in the field now!!!), he still mostly sees bad stuff, so it's difficult for him to not stress.

As for this time, I will link you to my thread where I asked a question about midwives after UC's...it explains where I'm at for this birth. :) I actually started it before I got pregnant, but it's pretty much all still the same. I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of doing it assisted (just because it's a very sacred thing to me now, and this is probably the last birth I'll get to have), but I'm hoping she will be a great fit for me and my family and it will work out well.
http://www.mothering.com/forum/306-...d-birth-after-multiple-uc-s.html#post19271826

Here are my first UC story. My 2nd and 3rd aren't on here anymore.
http://www.mothering.com/forum/166-birth-stories/903585-my-assisted-unassisted-birth.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the responses. I found it very helpful to think about what is important to me about home birth before meeting with the second CPM today. I have one more person to meet with before I come to a decision, but I'm leaning towards the one I met with today... I feel like she was very easy to communicate with & I felt very comfortable with her. Feel free to hijack the thread. I think unassisted home birth is awesome if someone is comfortable with it :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had all of my children unassisted at home, I might be able to answer some of your questions. I don't imagine it is very different with a midwife. I have six living children and one stillborn, my boys are 14, 7, the twins are 5, 3 and 1....this is baby #7 .

Do you have many midwives in your area?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, Elektraofmars. I'm feeling good about a CPM assisted home birth after looking into it and I don't really have any more questions at this time. I met with 2/3 midwives in the area who take my insurance so far and am meeting with the last one on Monday. My biggest concern now is dealing with the state insurance situation- I hear they are doing some tricky things with coverage and that the local certified midwife group is considering boycotting... which would mean we couldn't afford a home birth. So thats frustrating. But I'm going to apply for home birth coverage anyway and hope for the best there.
Congratulations on #7 on the way:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am happy for you Sarah Bee, glad you found one that you connect with. I hope the insurance thing works out for you!

Thank you 1babysmom for your answers, and the links, can't wait to check them out. That is awesome that your husband has grown in his job because of your births! I have heard stories of EMT's not really knowing what the heck is going on having to do with a birth.

Thanks ElektraofMars, I am relieved to find some moms on here who are comfortable with unassisted birth. If I think of more questions I will start a new thread.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a quick update- I did (finally) choose a midwife and started care with her last week to prep for a birth at home. The first midwife I chose after interviewing never called me back (figured that was a bad sign) so we went with my second choice & she is really great. She has many years of experience and I'm comfortable with her personality. We are waiting for my insurance to approve coverage for a home birth and trying to tuck away some money just in case they don't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts