Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been a member for a few months and have mainly posted in Pregnancy & Birth. I've got 2 dds ages 5 and 3 1/2, with a boy due in July

My girls LOVE being naked. I'm not sure whether it should bother me or not. My husband doesn't care, he says they're kids. It's only when it's the 4 of us, if anyone is here, they are well covered up. My mother doesn't like it and thinks I should "teach them" to keep their clothes on. They're good though, they only get naked after they ask and I give them the go-ahead.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Well, since it makes your mom uncomfortable, ask them to wear at least panties when she's around. Otherwise, it's your house, your rules and your kids.

Dd loves to be naked. The rule is that if she goes out into the front yard, she needs to wear panties (she's almost 5). Ds hates to be naked (he also has very little body fat and so gets cold).

·
Registered
83 Posts
My kids are 4 and 9 and still like to have the Naked time. We do make them put clothes on when people come over go out side ect but at home we dont care. Now that DS is older we are asking that he have at least underwhere on when he comes out of the bathroom but we still get "streaking" going on in the house. I want them to be comfortable with then self and not be worried when they get older and have to dress down in school.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
my mom's like that too. so out of respect for her when she is around my dd puts on underwear. she is 5 now and aware of outside rules. so she always wears underwear when she is out.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
When you mom's around, then have them put on clothes like with any other visitor. Other then that, there really is nothing wrong with being naked. When they start feeling the need to put on clothes they will. No reason to force them to feel the need to wear clothes before that. DD's 10 and still likes to lay around in her undies somedays. Heck, I'm all grown up and getting dressed can just seem like such a chore on lazy days.

Reactions: Autism brother

·
Registered
233 Posts
My DD is like that. She starts out clothed and by 6 in the evening she is naked. On the weekend she is a lot more. Doesn't bother me really. When people are here she has to wear clothes but seems to forget and will come out of the bathroom in her undies and no shirt. I just tell her to go get her shirt on. We are pretty comfi here with being nude. I have a tendency to streak before and after a shower etc. We have no males or boys here so that helps.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I guess Ill dissent..lol..I think its your house..so its your "rules"...if your dd is comfortable being naked with your mom their than she should feel comfortable to do so.

For me, this is the same kind of scenario as many other threads..the most recent one being about toy guns/shooting where the father corrected the boys in their own house for playing with them near his younger child - everyone said it was another persons house so its up to them to establish the boundaries and rules. Why wouldnt the same apply to nakedness?

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
My two little girls are 3 and 6. We have a 'rule' about wearing panties when we have friends over. that's it. We ask that our girls and their friends keep panties on. This is mostly for hygiene and not modesty though as we also have a 12 yo ds with friends I suppose it is some of both.
It is not an issue with 10 yo dd. She knows to wear clothes though she will run around in a leotard sometimes.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
...if your dd is comfortable being naked with your mom their than she should feel comfortable to do so.
Would this apply in reverse? Say, an older child asks an adult to put clothes on, and the adult refuses?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothieMom View Post
I wouldn't like naked butts on my furniture. Kids don't wipe very well

That's how I feel, too. Of course, my kids never cared much for being naked, so I've never had to deal with it. Maybe if I had, I'd have gotten used to it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Would this apply in reverse? Say, an older child asks an adult to put clothes on, and the adult refuses?
I think it would depend on the household - in my house, we aim for mutual respect. If my child was uncomfortable with my nudity, and asked me to wear underwear in my own house - we would find out why she was uncomfortable and then try to remedy that - even if it meant that the adult now had to wear clothes.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
My ds is naked most of the time he is home. He'll come home from school and the first thing he does is strip.

Of course I make him put clothing on to go outside or when we have people over, and that includes my parents. I don't think they would be bothered by him being naked, but I personally just find it an easier rule to follow that we put on clothing when ever anyone comes over.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothieMom View Post
I wouldn't like naked butts on my furniture. Kids don't wipe very well

but I wouldn't mind them running around naked, if they sat down they should sit on a towel.
Is this really a problem for people? Maybe I'm lucky - but ds has never had so much as a skid mark and most certainly does not need a towel to sit on things. But then again he prefers the floor anyway.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This is so funny... I have never thought much about this as my kids don't take their clothes off. DD has Raynaud's Syndrome so she gets cold easily and likes to be clothed and I guess DS is just following her lead.

I think if they wanted to be naked, though, I'd have no problem with it as long as no one was over. I think even if my mom was here I'd probably ask them to wear clothes of some sort?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
I guess Ill dissent..lol..I think its your house..so its your "rules"...if your dd is comfortable being naked with your mom their than she should feel comfortable to do so.
My main issue with this is if grandma is going to make remarks about the nakedness in front of the children that will cause them to become self-conscious about their bodies. We all hit that point soon enough, it doesn't need to be brought on early by someone else's body issues. If the cost of avoiding that is wearing panties when grandma is around, then I'd be fine with that. But if grandma is going to make those comments panties or no then grandma and I would be having a talk.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of your replies! We actually don't let the kids be naked in front of my mom anymore, mainly because she's just so annoying about it

And you're right - saves on laundry!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.