Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new here and just starting to look around. We have a 6-year-old daughter and 10-month-old non-ID boys. I only recently found Mothering mag, and I went to the web site to look for info on breast feeding twins. My daughter self-weaned between 18 months and 2 years. The boys are still nursing at 10 months, and we've no plans to change anything! I had an experience at our YMCA today though that made me question my "nursing" style or wonder -- Am I nursing too much? I never really thought about it before and maybe I am just being overly sensitive. I got the vibe from a mom who breastfed her twins, so I took it more seriously than I would someone who didn't know from breastfeeding. My guys still nurse A LOT. They are eating baby foods, cereals, etc. They eat 4 meals a day and nurse... I don't actually count, because there are times when they really nurse and times when they just kind of crawl up and nuzzle and then go away. Really nurse? Maybe 6 times or so a day? Maybe more? What happened today made me feel like I should cart the boys off and get them out of there before nursing them so I don't have to be 'judged.' Dunno. I never questioned what was 'normal' before... just did it. Now I find myself questioning and I don't like it!

Anyways... hello to all!
Zoelda

·
Registered
248 Posts
((((Zoelda)))) Welcome!!

I've never heard of anyone nursing too much! I read a mom say once something like 'I don't count the nursings any more than I count the kisses'. I'm kind of a wimp though, I do nurse a lot, but I don't do a lot of public nursing anymore. They are getting to the age where if one is nursing the other one sees it and wants it too, and I don't really want to tandem nurse in public. I just can't figure out how to do it. I get self-consious enough with everyone staring at us and wanting to ask their milion questions, I don't need the gaping mouths when I open my shirt and pop both of them on. Thats just me though. It sounds to me like you're doing awesome. Everyone does their own thing, and they want to make sure its the right thing. Its sad that that mom made you question yourself.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi Zoelda!
I too have never heard of nursing too much!!! My son nursed past 2y/o and never ate 4 meals a day at 10 mos old. What did this other mom say to you that made you question your awesome choice to nurse them as much as they want...just curious. My son was never good at nursing with lots of interesting things going on (ie, in public) and I am hoping the girls don't follow in his footsteps. New here too, Paige

·
Registered
158 Posts
My girls aren't that old, but they do nurse a ton. They are very "snacky" and like to eat almost every hour or so during the day. This works for us, but I know that it would drive some people crazy. I whip everything out in public without thinking about it anymore, but I haven't figured out how to tandem without my Boppy so we don't do this in public.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My twins have always nursed a lot too . . . Mine are almost 3 years old and they still probably nurse 6x a day. I relate.

In my personal experience, many of the other nursing twin moms I have met (there have probably only been a handful) were nursing, but they were doing it in a very scheduled (or even "Babywise" kind of way), so I really don't think there's a comparison if you are following your own children's cues instead.

·
Registered
835 Posts
No such thing as nursing too much. Funny my mom would come by to help and would make comments you're nursing them too much. UHHH, I hated that. I nursed my twins til 27 mos. there was a time when I had to set some limits when they were older and when I wanted them to sleep through the night. But I always did it on demand. Go with your mother's instict, you know your children better than anyone else and you know what they need.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My girls nursed at least as much at 10 months as they did as newborns. At 12-14 months more.

Now they are almost three and they still nurse frequently throughout the day and night.

Hope that helps. Every twin mommy's nursing experience is different, there's probably no real right or wrong here. Just because another mommy is uncomfortable with what you're doing doesn't make it right for your nursing triad.

You're doing great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.