Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 y.o. who loves the bike trailer but hates her helmet. I thought we had the solution with a neck pillow to make it more comfortable for her to ride w/ the helmet on, but she still complains. I finally gave up and have stopped making her wear the helmet while in the trailer. It was either that, getting ugly with her, or no more rides...

What do you all do? Helmet required or optional?

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I think it is required by law!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did check that one out b4 I relented. I called the police dept. and was told there is no law or ordinance here requiring helmets either while on a bike or in a trailer. But yes, that was my #1 concern. Now, I just want to know how irresponsible I'm being and whether anyone is with me.

·
Banned
5,766 Posts
On the street or on a paved bike trail closed to vehicles? On the street I would push the helmet. On a paved, mostly flat bike trail that never crosses the street and only has people powered vehicles, I would probably forget the helmet.

But I was hit by a car on the street so I only ride on bike trails now.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Personally we kept at it. My ds also hated his helmet for a long time and would put up a big fuss, complete with choking sounds even before the helmet would be fastened. If he didn't wear it we didn't go, but there were a couple times that we were already out and away from home that he started complaining/screaming so we took it off for the last bit of the ride home. Now he doesn't mind it at all because he wears it riding his bike and has gotten used to it. However, I think most kids I see riding in a trailer behind their parents are not wearing one. Of course I still see most kids riding their bike without one too.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
My older boy refused to wear his in the trailer. Part of the problem was that there was a ridgy thing in the back of the helmet that would press against the back of the trailer and push the helmet over his eyes. We didn't make him wear it.

My younger boy's helmet has the exact same ridgy thing, but he loves to wear his helmet in the trailer anyway. So he always does. Go figure.

·
Registered
678 Posts
DS doesn't like his much, but I'm not willing to take that kind of risk with a brain injury. I am pretty sure it IS law in my state (it is for children under 18 riding bikes). Maybe if we were on a bike path only.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Our rule is that if you're on the bike (trailer counts) you wear the helmet - true for adults as well as kids. We would not go vs. not wear a helmet.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nwaddellr
Our rule is that if you're on the bike (trailer counts) you wear the helmet - true for adults as well as kids. We would not go vs. not wear a helmet.
Same here. I don't consider a helmet in the trailer any more negotiable than the straps on the car seat.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Definitely make your dc wear their helmet. I've seen enough traumas where kids/people weren't wearing their helmets. We even have a special name for those trauma victims......potential organ donors.

Anyway, if the above post didn't scare you into using the helmet, I hope other's posts will.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Absolutely wear the helmet in the bike trailer! My brother managed to tip our trailer on its side while towing DS#1 years ago - thank goodness he was wearing his helmet in there!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonnymoose
Same here. I don't consider a helmet in the trailer any more negotiable than the straps on the car seat.
Yeah, that. Seriously, I can't believe it's even a question.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Us too. No helmet, no ride. My ds will point out adult riders without helmets and "tsk" them.
And, neither of my kids was/is comfortable in the trailer as a toddler b/c of the way the helmet hits the back of the seat at that height, so we ride less than I'd like too, but oh well.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You might try always starting with the helmet on and going longer and longer with it on..... I only rode dd on the bike path while she got used to the helmet. It does slip down over her eyes and that seems to be uncomfortable with her. We just worked trying to keep in on longer each time; now she's good for several hours and I'm back to riding the roads.

I also always give her some juice in there and/or a few gummi worms to keep her happy.

Timing the ride around nap time might also help; we've done that too. Now dd associates the ride with a treat and then a nap. The helmet isn't an issue if she's sleeping!

·
Banned
843 Posts
I would definitely require a helmet in the bike trailer. When I was younger the no tip bike trailer my mom had us ride in tipped on the road and my helmet hit the road pretty hard, if I hadn't had my helmet on my head I would have had some serious brain damage at least. It is a safety issue that you should definitely push. I would explain to her the concerns and what will happen to her head if you should tip and be firm about it, it could really save her life.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts