Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has pretty much been going on since day one of my sweet girl's life. We co-sleep, and the exhaustion from doing this for close to two years is driving my husband and I crazy! My tolerance & patience for everything is pretty much non-existent because I'm so utterly exhausted. I have two older kids (ages 8 & 9) so I need to be able to function in the mornings and evenings to get them to school, deal with the constant demands of parenting, cook dinner, get everyone to bed, etc.

She chugs down the milk when she wakes to nurse in the night, so it seems she's genuinely hungry. When she's done she's done (she doesn't try to suckle continually), but I need more than 2-3 hour chunks of sleep in order to function! We've been trying to fill her up with food during the day. She probably nurses about 6-8 times during the day and 3-6 times through the night.

We really need to get this under control for the sanity of us all.

What has worked for you? Please give me all your insight/suggestions.

·
Registered
436 Posts
At this age, could someone else give her other food before she snuggles back in with you? Of course, that needs for someone else to be able to wake up with her without waking you.

Are you laying down to nurse her at night and minimizing how awake you have to be?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm in a similar situation with my slightly younger son most nights, and even laying down to nurse doesn't alleviate the feeling of utter exhaustion from waking so many times a night. I really think that many times precludes anyone from getting to that restorative sleep or staying there for a substantial period of time

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this age, could someone else give her other food before she snuggles back in with you? Of course, that needs for someone else to be able to wake up with her without waking you.

Are you laying down to nurse her at night and minimizing how awake you have to be?
Sadly, my husband is away for at least 1/2 of the week, so I am the only one who can consistently help her at night. She's been in bed with me so I'm not physically getting up all through the night, but it's super exhausting to be waking up so much to nurse!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes, 21 months of never getting more than a three hour chunk of sleep is killing me! I'm so drained and exhausted and hardly able to function during the day!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I hear you loud and clear, it used to be the same with my oldest. Have you tried night weaning? Or simply moving her to sleep in a room with an older sibling? My oldest was like that for almost three years, and I cannot believe now that I put up with that 0:) When twins came they slept in a crib just next to the bed, and after a year and a half of night nursing two babies every couple of hours, I moved them to a room with my oldest and they happily slept through the night knowing mama isn't just around the corner, and yet feeling secure in the complany of each other and beloved older brother. Hope you find something that will work for you:laugh:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am a loud advocate for colseeping, because IME it usually leads to more and better sleep. If that is not the case for you, then perhaps it's time to consider something else. Even moving your little one to their own sleeping surface right next to yours can help, you won't wake each other with each little movement and may sleep longer chunks between feedings.

Other suggestions:
- When she wakes, try rubbing her back or some alternate form of soothing. If that doesn't work, then nurse her, but she may surprise you by going right back to sleep.
- Make a concerted effort to increase the amount of solid food, and decrease the number of nursing sessions, during the day. That may be more effective at filling her up than one big meal before bed.
- Consider night weaning, or
- Consider moving her to a different room to sleep. Those last two are both big changes. If you don't quite ready for that, try one or more of these other ideas. I think they'll help.

When my son was about 20 months old we transitioned him from the family bed to his own bed in our room. Immediately his night wakings, and consequently night feedings, went down by about half. A while later we night weaned entirely, going from 2-3 nursing sessions to one. The transition was surprisingly smooth.

I wish you luck in getting better sleep! And I hope something above is helpful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I might say something completely different here but..

I honestly think that babies, kids are emotionally conected to us. They feel what we feel. So the more you push her away the more she will ask for you.
Babies wake up often and that is the reality. We adults we want them to sleep like us but that is not possible. Breastmilk has substances inside that help baby to sleep so actually your baby is wise asking for milk. Nursing confort them.You can introduce others forms of confort but that has to be done also during the day not only during the night.
Are you satisfied of your life? Sorry for the question but this influence your baby too.
Are you talking to your baby about how you feel? They feel what you feel so better put words on your feelings.
How baby sleeps when father is there?
Putting baby alone in another room is like hiding the problem. She will wake up anyway. What her dad thinks about all this?What do you agree on?
And what do you desagree on?

A big hug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts