Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 12-month-old developed ezcema a few months ago, and has tested positive on skin tests to milk, chicken and bananas. We've eliminated those (both of us --I'm breastfeeding), plus beef and eggs, for 3.5 weeks, with no results so far. In fact, he's itchier than ever. I've been careful about avoiding other forms of milk (casein etc) and have only eaten tiny bits of soy (mainly soy margarine).

I'm really struggling with this diet -- I feel like there's hardly anything we can eat. DS loved yogurt and cheese, and homemade chicken soup
. I'm also trying to avoid nuts, although I've had some things with tahini, like hummus, b/c I feel like I'm starving all the time.

We're both taking probiotics and fish oil ...

Now my husband is pressuring me to stop this "crazy" diet. He also thinks I should stop breastfeeding. But if I stop bfing, then what can ds eat?? I'll have to give him hypoallergenic formula.

Is three weeks not long enough to expect results? How long should I continue with this diet? Any advice/experiences/comments much appreciated!

· Registered
1,094 Posts
First, dont stop nursing. Speciallty formula is very expensive, and there is no guarantee that he wont react tot he formula as well.

Search the forums. We are dairy and egg free, and have quite the vaired diet, and often eat all vegitarian meals. Check out the vegan mama's for ideas that are dairy and meatless. Beans are yummy, versatile, and won't leave you feeling hungry and deprived. It's summer, so load up on fruits and veggies. The key is to focus on what you CAN have, as opposed to what you CANT.

Three weeks isn't really long enough.

· Registered
1,683 Posts
Please please please for the sake of your child stick with the diet.

I would do a complete elimination diet, too. I would start with eating mainly rice products, and the "just a little bit" mentality will not work for this, I'm afraid. For us, just a little bit was enough to keep the eczema alive. Cut it out completely, if you suspect it.

We did this. My daughter had eczema too at around that age. It was awful for her. And it DID clear up. I only wish I had done it earlier. Poor thing. She deserves relief.

I ate salmon (wild pacific) and rice for weeks. You can do brown rice, of course, which will stick with you more. I was hungry beyond belief. I understand the challenge. After she cleared up (3 weeks?), I started adding things very slowly, one at a time, giving days between food groups. Wheat will open things up for you, once you can add that back. We eventually added everything but things high in saliclyates. She reacted very highly to salicylates. Do a search on the web for foods high in salyicilates. We still can't do grapes/raisins/grape juice (grape juice is used to sweeten a lot of things) and raspberries. Any berry in quantity still sets us off. And so does LOTS of OJ or tomato sauces/tomatoes.

Please don't stop. Tighten things up a bit. You'll figure it out quicker and you won't regret it. I'm so glad we did this. To be eternally confused about what to eat or not eat - that would be awful.

Oh, and once you're in a reaction and seeing skin problems, it takes quite a while to clear up - like two weeks after you've eaten it. So you HAVE to give things time. No cheating, though, or you'll just drive yourself nuts.

Best luck and good wishes-

· Registered
132 Posts
Oh, I feel for you! I could have written your post 18 months ago. My dd had bad eczema and it seemed that the more I eliminated, the worse she got. It was horribe and SO frustrating. I did the total elimination diet FOREVER it seemed like and she did get somewhat better but her rash never went away. Finally I started adding things back and she would either stay the same, or get worse.
In that we identified a number of allergens. When she got to about 8 months I gave her rice cereal...instant vomitting. The little lightbulb went off over my head. She's allergic to rice! Duh!
We got her tested finally and when we eliminated all the things she tested positive for, her eczema cleared up. It took about a month.

My guess is that you've eliminated some things he's allergic to and replaced them with things he is ALSO allergic to. One thing is to keep a food log along with a log of his reactions and see if you can find a pattern. Also when you eliminate something, you have to do it ENTIRELY. Every molecule.

Please keep nursing. Food allergies can damage the gut and breastmilk can help it to heal while formula is likely to do more damage. Probiotics are awesome and are one of the few things shown to improve food allergies so keep up with that.

And another thing, you will be way hungry and you will lose a significant amount of weight, but both those things pass in a few months. I dropped about 35 pounds in three months (which I could totally afford to do) but then I didn't lose any more. Your body will adjust. So don't freak out about the weight loss even if you're already thin. It doesn't continue! I've talked to a number of moms on the elimination diet and they all said the same. Just make sure you drink lots of water for your milk supply. You CAN do this, you really can! It's really hard and really frustrating, but it WILL help your son. Hang in there and remember that even unlikely things CAN be allergens!

Hugs, Pauli and Kelsey (22 months and still nursing with allergies to egg, dairy, wheat, rice, beef, pork, potato, pears, tomato and also avoiding nuts and seafood)

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded. Two nights ago, he ate pasta with tomato sauce and by midnight had tiny, itchy red bumps all over his body. I've decided to eliminate wheat and tomato as well ... sigh ... maybe I should just go down to nothing but rice, but I'm feeling so nutritionally depleted already, I'm scared to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.