Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to find some advice on this forum, recommended to me by a friend. I am exclusively breastfeeding my son and he's 3 weeks 2 days old and every day has been painful. I live in Thailand where there are no lactation consultants, so I've been sucking it up (no pun intended!) and just dealing with the pain.

My baby has a good latch. It's textbook, everything I do looks just like the step by step pictures and I do exactly as described: Aim the nipple to the roof of the mouth, move the baby not myself, he's got the fish lips and enough aereola. He's gaining weight well, filling lots of diapers, so he's getting plenty of milk. He DOES have a very strong suck though. So I'm stumped as to why I'm in so much pain to this day. I look in his mouth for the white patches they say thrush looks like but don't see it. Any advice?

Amy and Aidan

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your feedback, ladies. Your encouragement is very much appreciated. Well, I found a link to some sites that describe thrush in more detail. I have the nipple pain and it continues throughout the bf session. Afterwards, my nipples sometimes feel like daggers are being stabbed in them. Nipples are pink and raw and when I pull out of baby's mouth, it does have that odd pointed shape, formed to his palette. I also used to have terrible recurring yeast infections before I became pregnant. I hope the pediatrician can recommend a thrush treatment. I didn't know the pain could last 5-6 weeks or longer, as some of you had mentioned. I plan to tough it out, but hope it's gone before then. Again, thank you!

Amy n Aidan

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the support mamas! Aidan will have his one month check up in less than a week, and hopefully the pediatrician can help both of us. I don't know what sorts of remedies are available here in Thailand vs. the US, so this is why I must rely on a native Thai for help. I'll let you know how it goes and what a wonderful warm group of people you are for this newbie!

Amy and Aidan

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your advice, Dove.
One problem DS has is that he squirms and pulls his head back, taking my boob with him -- OUCH!!! Yep, yep and yep, all those things you suggested. I think I have enough pillows properly placed -- this is why my problem is so frustrating -- I've checked and double checked EVERYTHING. I also use this stuff my mother brought me from the US called Nipple Butter from Earth Mama Angel Baby and it works great. I'm sure THailand also has SOMETHING for sore nipples here... the doctor I'm going to go see on Friday might recommend something. Again, your encouragment has been very much appreciated and I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Amy n Aidan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.