Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,882 Posts
My baby also had/has a very strong suck, was sore at first, took weeks to get used to it - now I don't even feel it - it takes time. BUT - a couple of suggestions - seemed like my mantra with him became "chin and nose". I would always make sure the tip of his nose and chin were resting lightly on my breast, and in even amounts (kwim?) and then he was positioned ok. Otherwise I might think it was ok, but he was actually tugging to one side or the other. (I am sleepy, hope this makes sense). I would also like to caution against gentian violet. It often does nothing for yeast and is messy and possibly carcinogenic. You also need to find a doc who is willing to Rx both you and baby, in appropriate doses to kill the yeast, especially if it is a severe case. I would try positioning and using a pure lanolin ointment first, though. Lanolin saved my nips, for sure!!! Put a dab between the fingertips, soften it with your body heat and apply very gently to the nipples. Use it ALL THE TIME at first, before and after each feed if you are hurting (lanolin will not hurt the baby - but he will have beautifully conditioned lips!) One day you will just be like, OH! I didn't even need to use it today!
BTW, are you making good use of pillows/furniture/props to get comfortable? Can seem like a hassle at the time, but get a system down and then it becomes no big deal to position. Also, if you drift off while feeding babe, make sure he/she is not sliding down your nip while you drift off and relax your arms. These 2 things were also things I recognised and changed. PS - can you find lanolin where you are or order it somehow? If not, I will help get some to you! hope this helps and hang in there mama!

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Amy - thanks for the thanks
hmmm...baby pulling off nip at mach3? yeah, that could definitely be the problem, to say the least. Could be reflux, could be just your kiddo, it might be too early to tell. You might want to take it step by step to find out. For now, try easy things like being hyper-vigilant to when babe is about to pull off - keep a finger right by his mouth so that when it looks like it is about to happen you can zoom in and cut off the suction so that you don't get pulled. Some babies also pull off if the milk ejection reflex in the mom is strong - they are getting a little more milk than they can handle in that moment, so they sort of panic and rear off. Do you feel your milk let down hard or does baby sputter when he pulls off? These could be clues. If this is a possibility, get started with the feed, and when you start to feel your milk let down, unlatch babe (yes there may be crying involved) and let the excess milk run onto a cloth/diaper. Then re-latch. If it also happens thru the feeding as you feel your milk let down again and again, then you can try to repeat. This might help if that is the issue. If it is, it will not be forever, these things go in spurts (no pun intended :LOL ) and baby will "grow into" your supply. If the finger trick doesn't totally do it, and it's not overabundance, it might be reflux. In which case, you can try elimination diets, etc. But for now try this. Oh, and the nipple butter? That brand is really nice, has lots of great ingredients (got some for my sis-in-law, she is due 7/18, and I made her a breastfeeding success basket and put that in there), but I would still try lanolin if I were in your shoes. You may need the heavy duty coating that the lanolin can provide. Couple other things I thought of last night - make sure bra pads are not wet, change them often, and keep your top off if at all possible, even if it is just at night or sometime in the day when you have the opportunity. Just let extra milk drip onto a dipe or piece of soft flannel (flannel is perferable - supersoft and no scratch). Soft wool breast pads are the bomb, if you can get them /afford them. Hope you don't mind more suggestions, it was just not that long ago for me, so I keep thinking of things that helped me along - they haven't faded from my memory (memory? what memory?) :LOL yet. hugs! -Kimberley

· Registered
1,882 Posts
maxwill29 - I agree with you - I think a thrush diagnosis is jumping the gun. Everyone looks to thrush right away, but I think Amy has verbalized a couple of very clear reasons as to why she could be in pain. The baby pulling plus sensitive nips is alone enuf to do it. I don't advocate someone suffering needlessly, but I think trying a couple things before going onto meds which are no small thing is a wiser idea. I know a lot of people say that "breastfeeding shouldn't hurt", but I think in a lot of women there are lots of new sensations going on, some folks have greater concentrations of nerve endings in some areas than others, and there is a definite learning curve - for the baby, the mama, and the nips
too! So, Amy - let your inner wisdom guide you, try things, give them time, and if you end up that you do have thrush, accept my deepest apologies. And yes, lansinoh/lanolin isn't rec with thrush, but it may be the non-invasive, non-toxic comfort measure you need if it ISN'T thrush.

· Registered
1,882 Posts
i don't want to get into a who's right/who's wrong here - i am simply suggesting that there could be simple solutions, or it could be overlapping problems, or "just" yeast. All i know is that Amy, you are uncomforteable NOW and your doc appointment isn't right this second, so that is why the suggestions for things other than yeast rx. It is really hard to diagnose yourself - you can read the indicators for brain tumor, and on a day when your headache is bad enough, you can think for sure you have one, kwim? So, that is my rationale for the suggestions and comfort measures. I will sign off, and I wish you and baby the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.