Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12,264 Posts
If your nipple takes on a slanted look, like a new lipstick, he probably has tongue tied and may need to have his frenulum clipped. Do you get a "blood blister" in the upper edge of your nipples? Some babies outgrow or acomodate for tongue tie but if it is severe, the frenulum probably needs to be clipped. All 3 of my kids had ti but the pain and shaping subsided by 10 days.

Or he may have a high palate and have a hard time getting the nipple back far enough in his mouth.

As well, it definitely sounds like you have a case of thrush. This can be quite painful to baby and cause the pulling off.

· Registered
12,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dove
( Oh, and the nipple butter? That brand is really nice, has lots of great ingredients (got some for my sis-in-law, she is due 7/18, and I made her a breastfeeding success basket and put that in there), but I would still try lanolin if I were in your shoes. You may need the heavy duty coating that the lanolin can provide.
Lanolin is not recommended for thrush! It will make it worse!

· Registered
12,264 Posts
Recurrent yeast infections (I assume vag yeast) and shooting pains are clear indications of thrush.

Signs and Symptoms

In mother:

* intense nipple or breast pain that occurs from birth, lasts throughout the feeding, or is not improved with better latch-on and positioning
* sudden onset of nipple pain after a period of pain-free nursing
* cracked nipples
* nipples that are itchy and/or burning and that may appear pink or red, shiny, or flaky and/or have a rash and tiny blisters; nipples may also appear normal
* shooting pains in the breast during or after a feeding if the yeast has invaded the milk ducts
* nipple or breast pain with correct use of an automatic electric breastpump
* a vaginal yeast infection

In baby:

* diaper rash that does not respond to typical rash ointments
* creamy white patches that cannot be wiped off on the inside of the mouth, along the inside of the gums, inside of the cheeks, roof of mouth, throat, or tongue
* a shiny or "mother of pearl" look on the inside of the mouth
* breast refusal, pulling off breast, or a reluctance to nurse due to mouth soreness
* repeated clicking during nursing
* excessive gassiness due to the yeast's invasion of the gut

The baby may also be without visible symptoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.