Mothering Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,882 Posts
maxwill29 - I agree with you - I think a thrush diagnosis is jumping the gun. Everyone looks to thrush right away, but I think Amy has verbalized a couple of very clear reasons as to why she could be in pain. The baby pulling plus sensitive nips is alone enuf to do it. I don't advocate someone suffering needlessly, but I think trying a couple things before going onto meds which are no small thing is a wiser idea. I know a lot of people say that "breastfeeding shouldn't hurt", but I think in a lot of women there are lots of new sensations going on, some folks have greater concentrations of nerve endings in some areas than others, and there is a definite learning curve - for the baby, the mama, and the nips
too! So, Amy - let your inner wisdom guide you, try things, give them time, and if you end up that you do have thrush, accept my deepest apologies. And yes, lansinoh/lanolin isn't rec with thrush, but it may be the non-invasive, non-toxic comfort measure you need if it ISN'T thrush.

· Registered
12,264 Posts
Recurrent yeast infections (I assume vag yeast) and shooting pains are clear indications of thrush.

Signs and Symptoms

In mother:

* intense nipple or breast pain that occurs from birth, lasts throughout the feeding, or is not improved with better latch-on and positioning
* sudden onset of nipple pain after a period of pain-free nursing
* cracked nipples
* nipples that are itchy and/or burning and that may appear pink or red, shiny, or flaky and/or have a rash and tiny blisters; nipples may also appear normal
* shooting pains in the breast during or after a feeding if the yeast has invaded the milk ducts
* nipple or breast pain with correct use of an automatic electric breastpump
* a vaginal yeast infection

In baby:

* diaper rash that does not respond to typical rash ointments
* creamy white patches that cannot be wiped off on the inside of the mouth, along the inside of the gums, inside of the cheeks, roof of mouth, throat, or tongue
* a shiny or "mother of pearl" look on the inside of the mouth
* breast refusal, pulling off breast, or a reluctance to nurse due to mouth soreness
* repeated clicking during nursing
* excessive gassiness due to the yeast's invasion of the gut

The baby may also be without visible symptoms.

· Registered
1,882 Posts
i don't want to get into a who's right/who's wrong here - i am simply suggesting that there could be simple solutions, or it could be overlapping problems, or "just" yeast. All i know is that Amy, you are uncomforteable NOW and your doc appointment isn't right this second, so that is why the suggestions for things other than yeast rx. It is really hard to diagnose yourself - you can read the indicators for brain tumor, and on a day when your headache is bad enough, you can think for sure you have one, kwim? So, that is my rationale for the suggestions and comfort measures. I will sign off, and I wish you and baby the best.

· Registered
561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amyji
One problem DS has is that he squirms and pulls his head back, taking my boob with him -- OUCH!!!
Sometimes when DD is tired she will do this, if I am holding her in the cradle or cross cradle position. If I switch her to the football hold and hold her firmly against me, she can't pull her head back quickly (but can still unlatch when she wants). She also likes this position because she is able to look at my face.
Maybe try the football hold a few times if you have not been using that position.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.