Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really not sure what to do about this...

DD1 (almost 4) has begun to get very hyper/silly at bedtime. Sometimes it's before her bath/sometimes after. But she starts running around/laughing/playing with her sister (who then also gets hyped) and completely and totally ignoring anything either dh or I say to her.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? When dh is home, one of us gets dd2 ready for bed, does her bedtime routine (which includes reading stories) and if dd1 doesn't calm down and get ready for bed with the other parent, then she misses out on the bedtime stories. Which has some success, but not always.

But often dh has evening meetings, and I've got the two of them, along with a newborn (ds is a week and a half old) to cope with - and I really don't know what to do.

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated. Tonight, when tucking dd1 into bed, I asked her what we could do to help her stop being silly when 'silly time' was over (and they have plenty of time to play before bedtime). She suggested singing a lullaby?! And that would calm her down (hmmm....not convinced!).

Has anyone else run into this? We do try to let them run around and play a bit before starting bedtime routines, and they are both definitely tired.

Please help! I can feel this turning into a power struggle, which is not what I want...

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'm wondering if you are eating an hour or so before this happens? I know if my kids eat a bigger meal for supper, about an hour later they get a big rush of new energy & there's no way I can get them to settle in for bed or anything.

Also, my kids quite often get "wound" up around 5. So I try to get them outside for a bike ride or walk, or we play physical games in the house around that time so they use up their energy in a more manageable way. If we miss doing that -- things get pretty crazy around here for about an hour.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Dd(5yo)sometimes gets like this and has since about 3 1/2yo. It doesn't happen so much now, but at 4yo it was quite common. If I was alone, I would just send her out of the room--not really a time out, but, go sit on mom's bed or in the hallway on he own(she could be trusted alone--I would never do this with ds). Then I would get ds ready and into bed. then I would get dd ready, but there would be no story.
Also when this started, we talked with dd about having a later bed time(1/2)hr after ds. How it was because she was bigger etc.... This made her feel she had some special time with us alone and really calmed down the bedtime routine, just because I wasn't trying to do so many things at once.
When They bathe together, ds gets out and we dress him first and then dd is gotten out and is given her pj's to put on. If they ar not on by the time ds is in bed dd gets help with that--she is capable of dressing herself, but gets distracted sometimes. Then she gets her own story and song. I will mention that dd and ds(34mos) do share a room. Dd now goes to sleep in our bed and gets moved to her own when dh and I go to bed. This has worked out for us for almost a year now. G'luck
Kelso

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Carolyn!!! Congrats. on the baby boy! He sure came along quickly!

I like Kelso's idea of a later bedtime. I wonder if she would agree to playing quietly if she got to stay up a teeny bit later and have some quiet stories alone with you (and baby.) Might she keep herself composed if you promise this special time in advance?

Also -- don't forget that things get all out of whack for awhile with a new babe -- she's probably testing the limits of the new dynamics a little bit, and I imagine things will fall into place when she becomes accustomed to the new babe.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My dd is 2.5 and thinks it's a hoot to push bedtime as hard as possible. She gets wound up the more tired she gets and refuses to brush her teeth and makes a game of giggly chase when I try to put pajamas on her and so on. I'm expecting #2 right now and I am so this routine really scares me. I've decided to start waking her up earlier in the morning so that she takes an earlier nap. We'll see how that goes since she really prefers to skip the nap as well (not ready.) Ever since she weaned 2 mos ago we've had a harder time with sleep issues. Let me know what works for you. I fear I'll be in the same boat soon.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas. We eat around 6 pm, then bath, then bedtime routine and bed. DD1 is going to bed around 8 pm or so (dinner is pretty leisurely, and so is bathtime - we let them play as long as they want to). So maybe it is a food issue, but I'm not sure how to change it without feeding them very early/moving bedtime really late?

My mom is here at the moment, and that has helped a lot. DD1 has been OK at bedtime for the past few days. I like the idea of letting her stay up a bit later than dd2 - if she reverts to silliness when Mom leaves, we might try that.

I can see that this might be a reaction to ds's arrival (I know, Mamaduck - he did come along so quickly - I still can't quite believe I have three children now, and he's over 2 weeks old!). I guess both girls seem to have adjusted so well, seem so happy with him, etc., that that hadn't really occurred to me...

Thanks again, all. I think a later bedtime might work if this starts again once mom is gone...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was so glad to see this thread!

My DD, who will be 4 at the end of November, has started really getting silly and hyper just before bedtime. Right now, we're moving her bedtime a little earlier because I think she may be overtired. Hopefully that, and more adherence to our bedtime routine (dinner, bath, stories, lights out) will do the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts