Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you pregnancy-experienced mamas, help this newbie with something!

If my Last Monthly Period started on February 4th, and my ovulation/ conception
was February 16...

Am I at 3 weeks tomorrow, or 5 weeks on Sunday?! Everywhere I look I see references to weeks-along. If I go by my LMP doesn't that add two weeks that don't really exist to my pregnancy? I *know* that this little embryo has existed for 3 weeks, not 5, but to use common parlance which should I be going with?

For example, if I had an "8-week" check up would that be 3 weeks from now or 5?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
by LMP: 5 wks on Sunday
by ovulation/conception: 5 weeks on Friday

When you calculate weeks based on LMP, the assumption is that ovulation occurs on day 14 (which would have been Feb 18 for you) but since you know you ovulated two days earlier you are a few days ahead. I'd stick with the LMP dates since its only a couple days

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey0402 View Post
by LMP: 5 wks on Sunday
by ovulation/conception: 5 weeks on Friday

When you calculate weeks based on LMP, the assumption is that ovulation occurs on day 14 (which would have been Feb 18 for you) but since you know you ovulated two days earlier you are a few days ahead. I'd stick with the LMP dates since its only a couple days

i think you miswrote stacey. she would be 3 weeks tomorrow if she conceived feb 16.

It is easier to count by LMP b/c that is the way the entire world does it so if you don't you'll always be having to explain what you mean & it get's tiring after a while.

I conceived only 8 days after my LMP so although technically based on my LMP I am 8 weeks my embryonic age is 7 weeks so for "Most" women (who O on day 14) the LMP would be around 9 weeks ago. As a result, my u/s came back with a bean who was roughly a week larger (and 1 week at this stage is a big difference!)

For the sake of less confusion, you are five weeks pg just as i am 8. Your check up would be in three weeks.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
You are 5 weeks tomorrow and due 11/9/07. So if you want to have your 8 week appointment it should be in 3 weeks.

Most women don't know the date they conceived/ovulated so it is easier to go by lmp. So yes, you are right in thinking that the first 2 weeks you weren't technically pg.

(It's also why you are pg 10 months and not 9 since you are pg 40 weeks.)

·
Registered
774 Posts
I agree, it sounds to me like 5 weeks by lunar months, and 3 weeks by gestational age. SO that means that by conventional standards you are 5 weeks pregnant and due in the middle of November.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspired007 View Post
i think you miswrote stacey. she would be 3 weeks tomorrow if she conceived feb 16.

No, you count the weeks from LMP to ovulation as part of the 40 wk pregnancy. I am 30wks pregnant, meaning it has been 30 weeks since my last period, not ovulation. I had a hard time understanding it for a long time, but now it makes sense to me. Those two weeks (average) prepare the uterus for implantation and are part of the process.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the feedback. What I really needed to know was what was the "most-used" system, so that I could compare myself with all these books and websites and etc, and know where I was by *their* standards.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey0402 View Post
No, you count the weeks from LMP to ovulation as part of the 40 wk pregnancy. I am 30wks pregnant, meaning it has been 30 weeks since my last period, not ovulation. I had a hard time understanding it for a long time, but now it makes sense to me. Those two weeks (average) prepare the uterus for implantation and are part of the process.

I know. You wrote that it was 5 weeks by LMP and 5 weeks by ovulation date. See what I mean?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My LMP was Nov 1, and I conceived Nov 16. The MW says they generally go by LMP, even if you know the date of conception, because that way they can put everyone in the same standard.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspired007 View Post
I know. You wrote that it was 5 weeks by LMP and 5 weeks by ovulation date. See what I mean?

Oh, I hear what you're sayin'
I guess that was confusing. I meant.."if we go by your LMP", and "if we go by when you ovulated". Since she didn't ovulate on day 14 she could be 5 wks today or 5 wks Sunday (depending on which date she wants to go by). I'm just making this more confusing, aren't I?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azuluna View Post
That is pretty flippin' cool...we have the same LMP, O date and due date! I'm thinking the new moon was really good for baby-makin'

Azuluna, that is AWESOME!! Will you be my pregnancy buddy?

I saw your posts in TTC but thought you were further ahead than me, but I guess you just found out earlier. I was actually 3 DAYS past the-AF-wouldabeen when I first tested-- denial!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.