Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a ton of yucky acrylic (prefer cotton) but i want to use it i was thinkign about making it intowashcloths because ive been obsessed with making washcloths- do you think it would work ok?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Just from the experience of washing the acrylic blankets my grandmother has made, I would say it would work as far as knitting up and looking like a washcloth. But, as for being absorbant and useful, probably not your first choice. I bet it would get all fuzzy and icky, not to mention heavy.<br>
If you want to just try out patterns, acrylic can be very useful. Personally, I have a hard time knitting with it. It feels...spongey.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Why not do "washcloths"and then seam them up into blocks to play with? That way you get your fill of washcloth knitting but can put them to use afterward.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
You mean like for doing dishes? I think that would be perfect.<br><br>
A family member of mine used to make these scrubbie doily-type things out of acrylic. I don't have a pattern. I really don't think acrylic would get too heavy, since it's not very absorbent. And you can wash it in the machine when it gets yucky.<br><br>
I wouldn't like acrylic for body use, though.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Do a search on "tawashi" knitting patterns. I've heard that these work great in acrylic. (They're scrubbies.)<br><br>
Here's the one I've been meaning to try:<br><a href="http://tankhouse.knitability.com/freepatterns/DishClothDuo.pdf" target="_blank">http://tankhouse.knitability.com/fre...shClothDuo.pdf</a>

·
Registered
263 Posts
Acrylic makes fine scrubbing cloths for pots and pan or dried on food. It would probably work on tubs/showers/sinks that you can use the nylon scrubbies on too.<br><br>
As for bathing your body with it or for mopping up a spill or drying something, it would be useless.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
My pattern-a-day calendar just had a pattern for scrubbies made from "the roughest, scratchiest acrylic you can find". I'm sure it would work!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts