Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the summer heat/humidity has gotten here (I am in the south) my door handle hanging pail has gotten stinky. We run the AC, but not crazy. Anyway, my dipes go thru the wash and still have a faint smell to them and have little orange/pink dots like mold/mildew I assume. The last few times I have ended up washing again with bleach. I really want to avoid this.<br><br>
I normally use soapnuts w/ a little borax or oxybleach. Oh, as I type this I realize I haven't actually used any oxybleach (usually I get the Sun brand) I have been out for a while, but it probably wouldn't help, you think?<br><br>
I think I need a solution for while they are sitting in the pail. I usually wash every 3 days. Really don't want to do it more frequently, but is that the only answer?

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Maybe sprinkle baking soda in the pail a few times a day to 1) absorb moisture and 2) help with the stink issues. Does your pail have a lid? If it does maybe leave it cracked so it has some circulation, maybe that would help with the mold? I have no idea though, never dealt with mold, just an idea. Also I bet Bacout would help with the stink issues and maybe the mold on the cloth.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
In heat and humidity, I'd start doing them every other day, as much as that sucks. There's no other way to avoid the mold/mildew problem you're having... unless you hang the dirty dipes to dry before putting them in the laundry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts