Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have the white sealant around all my windows and it is covered in black mould spores!! I've tried scrubbing it with bleach to get it off and even left bleach on it overnight but it won't come off! What else can I try?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Or do I have to take it off and replace with new sealant? Some of it has already started coming off due to me scrubbing it so much to try and get the mould off :-( If the sealant has to be replaced, can I do it myself? or do I need to get a professional to do it? Also, it's a rental home, so should I be paying for it, or the Landlord?</p>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,484 Posts
<p>I have the SAME problem.  Clorox sells a gel cleaner that claims to "cling" to mold, but I make sure to use a toothpick or old toothbrush to scrub up after I use the spray. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is the humidity high inside the house (above 50%)?  Your landlord will eventually have to address what's causing this problem.  If he's willing to do a band-aid solution, suggest that he get you an inexpensive dehumidifier. </p>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,288 Posts
<p>Landlord should have to take care of that if the sealant needs replacing, any mold issues a bleach scrubbing doesn't permanently fix they are obligated to address. It's a minor job replacing sealant, scrape the old stuff, maybe bleach behind it to make sure it's all killed off, and put in a new line of sealant with a caulk gun. The leak or humidity causing it might be a bigger thing to fix.</p>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,931 Posts
<p>agreed with everyone and it's totally the landlord's problem.  BUT it might be stained, did you make sure it's actually still moldy or could it just be stains of black mold?  I left a wet wipe in my car in a wetbag for like a MONTH when my middle child was an infant and totally forgot abotu it.  By the time I found it, it was covered in black mold and though I've bleached it many many times since in the last 5 years it's still stained.  But it's obviously not moldy, it's been washed possibly thousands of times. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, be really careful with mold.  Make sure he's thorough searching the house and disinfecting and ridding the place of mold because we just moved out of a place infested with mold because we were having health problems and my landlord wouldn't fix it.</p>
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top