Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its the wipes we used...and ds 15 mos little butt, penis, and scrotum got really red, swollen, and broke out in blisters that oozed clear puss Friday night. We figured to let it dry out as much as possible...without diaper mostly all yesterday, some sores are open, but mostly it dried up the rash. Last night he couldn't sleep at all and this morning when we took the diaper off he cried out and eyes got huge and he pulled and grabbed and scratched his penis and scrotum area and far back as he could reach. It is now chafing and really dry and he is in excrutiating pain. WOn't even nurse, just screaming. Help me please someone! No ped is returning my pages yet either! Is there a baby benadryl like relief I can give him? I don't care, I am bypassing anything natural at this point. He needs relief. I'll take natural or non natural ideas for some immediate relief...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oh gosh I am so sorry I don't have any advice to offer, but just wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you and your poor little boy! If no peds are returning your pages, I wonder if it would be worth a visit to a walk-in urgent care clinic, if you have one in your area. It sounds like it will be really hard to get through another day and night of this! Poor lil guy!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
wow mama- so sorry for you and your baby.
I personally would avoid everything, accept warm baths (no bubbles), pat dry and nakedness for as long as possible. And poops, wipe with a warm facecloth in a bath. I don't have any boys, but my girls have had nasty nasty diaper rashes from time to time and this worked best for me.
I mean, bathe every time he poops or pees- just to clean him off and soften up his skin so it does't hurt.
It is so painful to watch a little one writing in agony, but honestly, adding anything other than basic comfort might just fuel the fire. Know what I mean?
I wish you well.
Amyjean

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
A rash that bad needs to be seen. I would take him to either a walk-in urgent care or if you don't have those near you, the ER.

If you want to wait on that (I totally understand not wanting to do that!) then you can try a oatmeal bath. Just grind up the oatmeal reallly really fine (we use baby oatmeal cereal because we can't get it fine enough) and have him sit in there as long as he likes. Then pat dry him (not rubbing) and let him be naked again. If the sun is out, let him go out in the sunshine with a nakey bottom.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you so much so far. those suggestions and advice helps. a nurse called back finally, not a ped - ugh! and all she recommends is butt paste and warm baths...i am not doing the butt paste. I did give him motrin an hour ago, and we've distracted him for over a half hour now - he seems to feel a lot better. and he likes the diaper on actually - like the air is making it feel worse???? so, soon as we try breakfast, we're gonna do a bath - I like the oatmeal idea - a plain warm bath earlier made him scream worse - so we'll see.

thank so much!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's doing better as the day has gone on...distraction is working better than earlier, and the oatmeal bath seemed to soothe it - not just temporarily either. Its not as chafy and dry, so we are all much calmer now. Thanks. I am glad it went this way, or I would have been taking him somewhere. Its so nice to have support here on MDC. I think we're gonna make it through this!

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Glad you stayed away from the butt paste. That stuff made dd so much worse!

The oatmeal bath is the only thing that helps my daughter when she has an eczema break out or a diaper rash. Everything else results in open sores

·
Registered
725 Posts
The drying pastes will make it worse.
Have you tried A&D or plain lanolin?

It works better than anything else that I have tried. My kids get some nasty rahes too, as there are some food allergies.

I would go ahead a give some Tylenol or motrin at this point too.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I make my own wipes:

cut a bounty big roll in half and place in a two quart air tight container with two cups water, two tablespoons oil (I use vegtable oil, you can use any) andtwo tablespoons babywash, i use the hypoallergenic stuff. after it soaks the fluid up, pull the cardboard thingy out and youre good to go.

for bad rashes, I use warm water on washclothes to clean poop. Baths without soap, fresh air and desitin,or whatever i find with the highest concentration of zinc oxide to protect.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
We've been able to use only cloth wipes moistened with water.

Any wipe or lotion or soap or cream with "sulfates" on the label makes her rashy and scream in pain.

When she's like that, we do barely warm soaks... coat her heavily with zinc oxide (our biggest friend) then slather un-petroleum on top of that.

Good luck, and hope he's better soon!

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I don't know if anyone's noticed.. but this thread is like a year old.

I really hope his rash is cleared up by now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.