Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Here's the background: About two years ago my daughter had four caps put on her front teeth - she needed them badly.  Then about eight months later she fell and knocked out three of those caps and so had them re-capped.  All the nerves were preserved during both procedures.  Now she has an infection in the root of one of those capped teeth. They will be going in on Tuesday and doing a pulpectomy on that tooth.  In the meantime they want to put her on antibiotics - amoxicillin to be exact. I really don't want to. She has never had antibtiotics. They say without it her permanent tooth might get infected and discolored.  But yet when I had a root canal earlier this year no one gave me antibiotics.  Any suggestions??</p>

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
<p>I don't know about the pulpectomy, but ds had an abscessed molar and they insisted on antibiotics. They told me the Novocaine would not work if the roots were surrounded by infection, the infection would cushion or block the meds. But I only needed to keep him on the antibiotics until the procedure, then discontinue, and the infection would just drain out after they pulled the tooth.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does that help at all?</p>

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>they said she would have to use the whole course of abx. they didn't seem concerned when she started the abx versus when the procedure will be done...</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts