Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used an Aqua Leisure, simple set pool for a homebirth?
I have a 6 feet by 25 inches, type pool.

I am worried because it is the type that you inflate the big tube, then the water you fill into it makes the pool rise to its full height.

I was going to use my apartments claw footed tub, but it leaks around the faucet when I fill it up enough. We patched it for the second time, but I am afraid that it will leak during labor and then I would have nothing so I went looking for a pool, but all of the blow up pools that the other home birth/ water birth mammas suggest are sold out.

Thanks!
Barb
(If anyone has experience setting this up in their yard, I would like to know too! I need to know if you get water all over the place, or if it sets up easily!)

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I don't see any reason why you couldn't use that pool. We have an easy set pool and the only issue with setting it up was smoothing out the wrinkles on the floor of the tub (that wasn't too easy to do). Also, if it's at all on a slant then it's more likely for water to spill out (ours was in our backyard for swimming and the ground was at a very slight angle - dd leaned on the short edge and fell out along with a ton of water). Can you order one of the smaller fishy pools online like here or is there not enough time for that?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was going to order the one that is on www.birthwithlove.com. It is like the fishy pool in the link above but hexagonal and goes to 25 inches deep.

Well I am due tooo soon and guess what?? I found the same pool at Toys R US and I mean the same pool for 20 dollars. It was a lot more on birth with love and I would have had to wait for it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=toys

Just make sure that it has some padding in the bottom and a really thick sidewall and you will be fine.BTW I think your clawfoot would be more comfortable. Surely there is a better way to patch it?? Do you have a handyman friend who could help??

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
CJ5 - Holy cow! I can't believe the markup on those pools! That's too bad that a birth site is ripping people off like that. It's like when you get married and you attach the name "wedding" to anything it costs at least 3x as much. Glad you found the pool for the actual retail price elsewhere.

Bikruca - See my pp about the simple set pool. That's the same type of pool that you linked to (it should work I'd think).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey!

Thanks to all! I am getting rid of that simple set pool today.
I am afraid that while filling it, it will leak. ( It seems like you need to fill it all of the way to be safe from spilling.)

I got another blow up pool from Toys R Us (Ocean Reef Swim center Pool 76"x71"x25. The center and sides seem perfect.

I checked out that link for quality inflatables...Thanks!, but I am due any second and I would have to wait for delivery or pay much more for the Aqaurium to be delivered quickly.

I also had my husband patch the tub, I am sure that the tub would work, but we just moved into this apartment and I had tried to patch it twice and it leaked every time I tested it. I wanted to have a back up just in case.

I will come back here to post after the birth and I will let you know how it went!

Barbara

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS
I paid $19.99 for the Ocean Reef (76x71x25)
and $19.99 for an electric pump.

They charge $60 for just the pool plus shipping. Wow, stay at home moms...sounds like a good business!
Barb

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
salaam

i want to do the kiddie pool thing too... but where do i get the right kind of hose??? and is there such a thing as an attachment for the hose that will connect to my bathtub faucet???

thanks!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveMyLittles
i want to do the kiddie pool thing too... but where do i get the right kind of hose??? and is there such a thing as an attachment for the hose that will connect to my bathtub faucet???
Yes! You should be able to buy an attachment at any hardware store (I know a few women here bought them at Ace hardware). Just ask the sales person for the attachment to connect a garden hose to your sink. It's just one little piece and screws right on. I've also read that you should make sure the garden hose is "drinking safe" because this means it hasn't been treated with chemicals. We didn't know that when we did our last birth so I'm pretty sure it wasn't & our baby is just fine, but still. That's what I've heard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI - we used the aqua leisure pool you describe for our DS homebirth last July and it worked wonderfully. The only thing was that the water was a bit too deep. I wouldn't fill it all the way up.
I know you've had your baby by now, but if anyone else is wondering, the aqua leisure will work.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wanted to follow up, Ihad my birth and labor went really fast. ( 3.5 hours from the first .. could this be labor? to the finish)

The tub was horrible ( or was that the labor<g>). I couldn't extend my legs or turn over onto my all fours. My last labor I spent in the birth tub on all fours floating.

We had no time to fill up the pool, but THANK GOD FOR THE EXCERCOISE BALL!
I used my excercise ball for a birh ball and rolled on that for each ctx.

I just wanted to follow up for all of you who read this who would consider using the tub!
Barb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts