Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another biting post. I have read through some posts and tried to bump up some posts for advice but didn't get any, so I'll start a new one again.<br>
DD has been biting and pinching her friends. She bites me if I don't pay attention her or pick her up right away. I usually try to respond to her cues as soon as I can, but yesterday at the airport I was talking to somebody and she bit me b/c I didn't pick her up right away.<br>
We were at my friend's house this weekend and she kept biting him. I try to catch her in the act right before she does it and say no biting. I don't know if she sees it as a game. When she does give kisses and hugs I praise her and give her attention for that. She will bite if she feels encroached on, as a defensive method and when she wants something. I'm trying to teach her to say stop when she wants somebody to stop pushing or hitting her. Don't know what to do about the toy part. I don't know if I should take the toy away since the other kid is playing with it and not her but this is what caused the biting. If she bites I pick up the other kid and give him attention. Then go to her. Tell her he is crying because it hurts when ppl bite.<br>
Oh DD is 18 months old.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think with the biting the most important thing is to try to prevent it. Look for any patterns - does it happen when she's getting tired or hungry? Or just with certain people? Are there any warning signs? I would limit playdates and supervise very closely when she is with other kids. If you can figure out why she is biting, give her an alternative to biting - if she's doing it to get your attention, try to get her to touch your arm or say "mama!" instead. Sounds like you are already doing a lot of this. There is also a board book called Teeth are not for Biting that you could read to her. Hope it gets better for you soon!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I highly recommend the book, "Teeth are Not for Biting." It solved our biting problem at 19 mos. It's a board book that talks about why she might want to bite, says that biting hurts, and what you can do instead. In very simple language, of course.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts