Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is just over 5mos. w/ no teeth. I think he is teething though as he's just chewing and gumming on everything. However the last few days when he's getting tired and nursing to sleep he gets agitated and bites down on my nipple *hard* and yanks! Owwwwwww!!! What can I do to get him to stop doing this? I take him away from the breast right now and wait a few minutes before letting him latch on again while telling him in a firm voice "no"...but not sure if that is the best way to handle it. I wouldn't even care if it were just every once in awhile..but it's been happening almost every time we nurse and quite frankly it hurts like a son of a b***h. We co-sleep and he does it at night and I've woken my husband up w/ my yelps of pain!

TIA!

· Registered
1,997 Posts
My daughter was doing that and I would unlatch her and tell her "that hurts mommy, you can't nurse if you're going to hurt mommy". and then I would put my breast back in my bra and pull my shirt back down. After a few min, I'd let her try again. This seemed to help. She got the point in a few days.

· Registered
285 Posts
My 6 mo. old is doing the same thing. I've also just been removing him from the breast and saying "that hurts mama" then letting him try again after a few minutes. It seems to be helping... or maybe his gums aren't hurting now, lol.

Looking forward to more responses on this one!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.