Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just came on this evening. A few hours ago I began having pain on the right side of my right breast. I was expressing because it felt like possibly a plugged duct (I had a plugged duct in the same spot a couple weeks ago) and there is blood in my milk. Ds won't nurse on that side - he spits it out and asks for the other side.

Details I'm not sure matter:
-Ds was sick with a viral infection and high fever for the last 3 days (not sure what the virus was - didn't have any other symptoms)
-I haven't been feeling that great all day today, and I feel worse now as the pain in my breast gets worse.

Please help! This feels different than a plugged duct. I hope it isn't the dreaded mastitis.
I've been nursing ds for 18 months and haven't had anything like this. It's awful.

·
Registered
183 Posts
OUCH! If temp goes any higher... see a dr. you probably have an infection. When their is blood in the milk, you are getting too engorged between feedings and need to feed/pump more often OR you have mastitis and it is crushing your milk producing cells and letting blood come through!

Do you have a red hot mass in your breast or armpit?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Duh... you said you felt like you had a plugged duct. Try filling your kitchen sink or a deep caserole pan with VERY warm water (Don't burn yourself please) and try to get as much out as you can and to get as much of that infection out. It will help save your poor milk cells from the terrible pressure!

Also try a lot of vit C, Zinc and Echinacia (sp?) to try to boost your immune sytem

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
HOT shower with water directly on sore area, hot compresses, HEAT. And massage. Yeah, right where it hurts like hell to massage, I know it sucks!!! try to make it without taking any tylenol/antibiotics/other stuff because you want to see if it gets better on it's own.

I have pumped blood on several occasions and I can assure you I know how creepy and disturbing it is. since your ds won't nurse on that side (probably doesn't like the taste of the blood), you might want to think about pumping or at least hand expressing from that side, because the fluid pools and contributes to a worse infection. Also, I've noticed that after emptying the breast when I have mastitis, it helps the fever come down. good luck.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hi Judesmama,

I believe it is mastitis.

I had the exact same symptoms. Are you getting the red streaks in your breast?

It is awful. The blood made my baby girl spit up these horrible clots. I felt terrible. The acid in blood upsets their little tummies and it must taste awful.

Do you see a midwife or another more progressive medical provider? I went to my regular doc who wasted my time with a low grade antibiotic that just prolonged my pain and encourage thrush! I was on an intense antibiotic (Dicloxacillin 500mg) for 10 days.

I hope get to the doctor soon. You will feel worse if you don't. It is painful and it is like having a really bad flu. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.