Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad mastitis in the same spot about a month ago, and now it's back, but the problem is I can't get it drained. Last time I could still mange to drain the breast, I just had to get rid of the infection. This time I litterally can't drain that spot. I took my breastpump in the hot shower, tried a hot basin soak, lots of message, and a dangle feeding my 8 mo with VERY firm masage. There is a clog in there that won't move. It's getting worse by the hour. Any suggestions? I am going to try a homeopathic rmeidy I read about on Kelly mom, with lots of water and try lecithin too. I have a call into my Dr. for antibiotics, but that still won't unclog my duct. What do I do!!! I'm afraid this may lead to an abscess and I'm not one to over dramatize medical stuff and this feel REALLY bad. Help!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvenchrst
I had a bad mastitis in the same spot about a month ago, and now it's back, but the problem is I can't get it drained. Last time I could still mange to drain the breast, I just had to get rid of the infection. This time I litterally can't drain that spot. I took my breastpump in the hot shower, tried a hot basin soak, lots of message, and a dangle feeding my 8 mo with VERY firm masage. There is a clog in there that won't move. It's getting worse by the hour. Any suggestions? I am going to try a homeopathic rmeidy I read about on Kelly mom, with lots of water and try lecithin too. I have a call into my Dr. for antibiotics, but that still won't unclog my duct. What do I do!!! I'm afraid this may lead to an abscess and I'm not one to over dramatize medical stuff and this feel REALLY bad. Help!!
I can relate to the pain. I can only offer you sympathies as you are trying everything that I would have suggested.
Hugs:

A.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No fever, not yet thankfully. I caught this one early. I spent 2 hours during the boys naps in out of the HOT bath with meesage and hand expression. I go a lot of the area drained, but one spot I just can't seam to get un stuck. I think it is the sight of my last infection 1 month ago. Hopefully it will clear up in the next 24 hrs!!!

Thanks fo rth esympathy

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have unfortunately had recuusing plugged ducts......

like you are doing, mega-water.
I take mega doses of vit c along with echinacea and as much rest as possible.

good luck, i know it sucks.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Okay, if you aren't running fever then it's not mastitis, it's just a plugged duct so far.

HOT showers. Nurse with the chin or nose pointing at it. Express express express. Right over it if you can stand it.
:

Figure out what caused it though so you can avoid it!

Sending healing thoughts,

-Angela

·
Registered
322 Posts
A pump will never empty your breast as efficiently as bubs will. Your babys suck is up to 4 times more efficient, isnt mother nature great
. When I start to come down with it, I just hop into bed and let bubs go for it. Thats the best way. Ive never pumped, and never had it for more than 24 hours.
Good luck.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much to everyone for the advice and support (I really needed it!) I got to talk to an LC on the phone she said it sounded as if Iwas doing all I could and give it time. She did say to just compress, not message, because message can lead to inflamation (which I tried earlyer today and boy did it inflame me!! And it didn't seam to help me but the compression really did.) So I started all teh suppliments/homeopathy and nursed Trace a lot and tonight I got him to really work at my breast and with compression that clogg came out! It was a beautiful thing to not have a rock in there any more. Hopefully I will just get better from her. I suppose there's nothing like nature to take care of things.

I have been have LOTS (like 1 a day) mini clogged ducts these last few weeks and its really annoing. I will try all the things listed on Kelly mom for recurrant clogged ducts, but the LC told me today that she though it was becuase i had recently cut down Trace from 7 to only 4 or 5 feedings in a 24hr period. I had cut him down after he was bitting (drew blood, not fun) and he was just comfort nursing but mostly I could do that becuase I feed him twice a day jared food. The LC said to stop feeding solids and just breastfeed, which to be honest sounds great to me. I was reading on Kelly mom how the really don't need it and it can even cause problems. So I was thinking about just nixing the pureed foods and just give him table foods when he wants them (like at dinner time around the table give him some cheerios to munch on) and when he's old enough to have them. It's weird cutting back on something we already had gotten the hang of. So when how do the rest of you start solids and when do you know they are ready. Becuase he grabs at any table food that comes near him and likes food from a jar and will eat it. So he seams ready by all the mainstream criteria, but what are the critiria for readiness in the delayed solids camp?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
To start solids, all of the below:

at LEAST 6 months
sits unassisted
pincer grasp
moves food to mouth
self feeds (ie steals food off your plate and shoves it in his mouth!)

Then, don't spoon feed more than the tiniest taste (think the size of a pencil eraser)

Also nurse first, before solids for the whole first year.

He should definitely be nursing more than 4-5 times a day. Breastmilk is the nutrition babies need in the first year, solids are just for fun. Let him self feed. That way he can regulate his intake.

-Angela

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ashley~ try going without a bra for a while... if your breast is pinched or folded AT ALL in your bra it can cause you problems!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hi,

My lactation consultant suggested something kind of funky and it worked!

Get in a hot (if you can stand it) and allow your breasts to dangle. Take a comb (yes a comb) and stroke the area were the hard spot is. She also suggested a vibrator (didn't have one, so the comb worked for me).

You have to do it a bit. It is odd, but man, it broke things up and I started to feel some relief.

Good luck. I hope you clear up soon. Mastitis is the worst experience I have ever had! I hope you don't get it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alegna_

Thanks for the tips, he does all but the pincher grasp he has that half way down. So with spoon feed for just a taste, do you mean just to give him tastes of thigs, bu tnot actually for a feeding. So basically no jared foods? This is kind of what I was thinking, food in jars doesn't seem super natural to me. In most undeveloped cultures in the world I don't think they sit around grinding up every little thing, I think they probably just feed their kids the things they can eat when they can eat them. Self feeding sound slike a great idea. I have started back up again feeding 6 times during the day instead of 4 then whatever he need/wants at night which varies from day to day. I think I will jsut give him the table foods he wants when we eat meals together as a family. so just sometimes lunch and then usually dinner. Does that sound right? Thanks for the ideas it REALLY helps . . now I have to find someone to give all my baby food to

Mama Fanklin - I may try that for a little while till this clears, but it's not something I could be comfotable for the long term. I did just get some new bra's though, they are on of the things on my suspect list. They are YES bra's from ebay that are just like Bravado's only with traditional snaps instead of clasps and elastic that truely doesn't roll. I LOVE them and they are really cheap so I'd hate for them to be the problem, but if they are then they've gotta go. They don't really feel too tight, but who knows? I also wear Trace on my back in an Ergo ALL the time, but that does really seem to put any pressure on my breasts. My other therories are that it's stress (my first one happen as we moved about 1 months ago and this week my hubby is gone on a business trip) and my other idea is that I know I hardly drink enough water every day. With a little detective work hopefully I will get it all sorted out so this doesn't happen again.

Igraine- That's a great idea, I will try it today as the boys are napping. The vibrator sounds like a good idea to break things up, but I don't have one eather. I do have a vibrating back massager thing that could work, but I worry that would make my really inflamed don't you think?

I was able to get an RX called in for me since I just saw the Dr. 1 month ago for the same thing, and we are switching insurance carriers in a few days an dI wanted to have it just in case I needed it that way I wouldn't have to drag me and the kinds to a new Dr. who it may have even taken me a long time to get an appointment with since I'm a new patient. Any thoughts on when I should take it? I still don't have any flu like symptoms and it seams to be getting better. So I think I will wait till or if I develope the flu like symptoms. Is there any possibility that this is left over from 1 month ago? I had to take a mild antibiotic since I 'm allergic to a few others so I got a different stronger one this time.

Thank you all again SO much your input is invaluable to me!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
There's no need for an antibiotic if you're not running a fever. At that point it's just plugged ducts, not mastitis. Once you have a fever there are other things to try, but many women find antibiotics to be a good choice then.

By a taste, I mean a tiny taste- the size of the tip of your finger- just a taste to get the flavor. If baby wants more, he'll find a way! (mmmm did you know that yogurt is a fingerfood?)

-Angela

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Heh. In our house, yogurt = paint. Edible paint. Oh and hair mousse too

If you're getting clogged ducts regularly, it's probably a good idea to pump regularly. I had two bouts of mastitis about 3 weeks apart and after the second one I've continued to pump at least once a day on the afflicted boob just to clean it out thoroughly. Another thing that seems to help is drinking very diluted cranberry juice instead of water. Dilute it to the point that you can chug it like water. If you drink enough (100-200 oz per day) you'll be getting enough cranberry juice to ward off infection if your ducts become plugged again.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'd like to add a tip I got from a friend a couple months ago. I had a plugged duct that kept coming back, or rather, never really cleared up. One weekend it got particularly bad and constant nursing and pumping didn't help. Finally a friend recommended to have my DH drain it for me.
Same way a baby would. It was a little more effective because I could just tell him where it was. Have your baby/DH aim their nose at the plugged spot and suck like mad. A little embarrassing, but it worked better than anything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts