Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: I'm 31 weeks preg (Well 31.5 weeks to be exact) and I can't sleep.

I've had problems with insomnia before, but this seems to be a combination of that, along with pain in my hips, if I lie too long on one side it gets incredibly painful and I am unable to lie on my back for more than a minate, unsure why exactly. And as well as that baby decides shes going to move all night which can be quite painful and at best its uncomfortable. I end up only sleeping about half an hour at night, and then am only able to drift to sleep between 8am and 12 (Midday) for about 2 hours or so.

I've tried everything from a bath before bed, not eating too much sugar, reading before bed, going for walks, drinking warm milk and honey, not having anything to eat or drink a few hours before bed... I'm running out of ideas!!

If anyone has any suggestions on how I may be able to get some sleep at night or at least feel slightly more comfortable I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ohh.. I had this pain when I couldn't lie on my back when I was pregnant too, RainbowsMum. It was so painful. Fortunately I could still lie on my sides.

What I tried to do was putting a very soft pillow below my back so that it didn't touch my bed. And it worked, though I still had to get the pain even until my DS was one year old. I didn't know what caused this, but probably it was because I lacked of exercises.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
- aurora -

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
With my past pregnancies I found that a trial and error of the right combination of pillows in just the right places was all the difference. I have to put a pillow behind my back, so that I can lean against it but not be flat. That way it takes the weight and pressure off my hip. Then I have another pillow between my knees and a third pillow for my head.

It takes up quite a bit of room in the bed, but it helps soooo much!

I hope you get some rest soon, mama.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Was swinging past the boards, and saw your complaint, here are a few things that I learned in my pregnancies.
Are you having leg cramps too? Leg cramps and insomnia are caused by a lack of calcium, per my midwife #2.
or, dairy intolerance can show up as insomnia. This happened to me in pregnancy #1. Since you have had insomnia problems outside of preg. this is what I suspect.
Hope you figure out the problem soon!

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you are really desperate for one night of sleep, take some Tylenol PM or Benadryl. They will knock you out. I had some preterm labor at 35 weeks & after a while in the hospital my MW sent me home & told me to take some & get some sleep. They are both considered safe for pregnancy. I wouldn't take them every night, but once a week just so you can get some sleep. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mary3mama
With my past pregnancies I found that a trial and error of the right combination of pillows in just the right places was all the difference. I have to put a pillow behind my back, so that I can lean against it but not be flat. That way it takes the weight and pressure off my hip. Then I have another pillow between my knees and a third pillow for my head.

It takes up quite a bit of room in the bed, but it helps soooo much!

I hope you get some rest soon, mama.
I second the pillows...they make a big difference for me...one under my head, one between my knees and then one behind my back.

Another thing that helps me is actually having a snack before I sleep...I guess this would vary from person to person.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last night was a bit of a stressful night, but I tried putting a pillow between my knees and although I didn't sleep much (Due to the stress more than anything) I was a lot more comfy! Tonight I will try perfect the pillow placement and add a few more..!

I had benadryl once when I was a few years younger, I only took a childs dosage (I was about 17 at the time) and it kinda sedated me although I couldn't sleep, I couldn't move or anything, almost like I was on drugs or something I found the whole thing a little scary, however I will look into the Tylenol PM stuff for sure.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
This is an expensive solution, but a great mattress could be the solution. We have an amazing foam mattress that is AMAZING. While we were on our cross-country trip for 12 days, I slept in many different hotel beds and my body hurt like hell. Now that we're here and I have my bed back...I wake up feeling refreshed and in no pain whatsoever!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I flop back and forth between right side and left side and I have a body pillow to put between my legs and hug. It is still uncomfortable to sleep, but I just flop when I can't take it on the one side any more. If I can't sleep I get up and watch a movie I checked out from the library.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts