Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,
I'm wondering what you all think.

My 6yo is enrolled in a small public charter here in California.
We homeschool and check in with the teacher once a month.
Last month we had a family death and i went to see my fam and took the kids.
Had to miss our meeting.
We recieved a letter saying that my child was on probation, and they were alerting the district...
: WHAT?
... 1 missed meeting, AND i informed the teacher.
This is hard, and i am worried. What does this mean... Anyone?
i want to continue to homeshool,even unschool, but now feel the spotlght is on my fam, and don't know what step to take, next.

Thank you for your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Funding, funding, funding!! Its all about funding!! Remember that you have the advantage in this situation! They need to "prove" attendance to receive funding for you.....and you probably use them for funding (at least that is what I do!) They will dangle the $$ they give you over your head to posture the upper hand. But remember, they benefit from your enrollment more than you benefit from their $$. As long as they know that is your belief...they will back off a bit. and if they don't, drop out.....at least that is my plan! I really believe that knowledge along with the confidence that I am happy to homeschool on my own has saved me a lot of grief over the last couple of years.....

In their defense, if your funding is very important to you, they DO have to hold up their end of their charter to exist....and there are audit threats out there. Despite the unexpected nature of your miss and your need for flexibility, if they get audited and are found delinquent, they can lose their charter. That is just to explain their response.....

HTH!
Tassy
DS 8, DD 4, twin DDs 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Agree With All Said!

I Enrolled Her in the Charter for a little help, it's just been more hassle.
The Pub school curr. is so, busy work, as some may know.
We Both Get Bored. And Do so much more than thhe lesson plan.

I Had a Very intense and Then Totally Fine Conversation This morn with her teacher.
He claimed the school sent the letter regardless of his imput on how and what was happenning in our family.

So, The Private School afv sounds right up our alley, do you have access to those docs or links?


As for funding, She's doing gymnastics and it's expensive, the little they give helps so much! so i'd like to keep that aspect, unless Grandma feels the urge to help!?

Lots of possibilities, and i appreciate all the response!
THank you so much!

Peace~*
:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,209 Posts
Well, if you want to keep getting the money from the charter to pay for gymnastics, then you also need to put up with their nonsense. If you file the private school affadavit, then you no longer get any sort of funding, but there are no hassles. Info on how to do that is here.

Dar
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
Boy, did they blow it! They should be falling all over themselves to please you - they're getting big bucks for your enrollment in that program. There are other ways they could have gone about re-arranging that meeting without sending that kind of wording. I can't help but hope you find another way of dealing with gymnastics. You and your daughter could be doing a lot better than doing more than the lesson plans too, for that matter - you could be going in entirely different directions.

I'm not sure you're clear on how the private school affidavit works, though - it's an either/or situation - your daughter is either enrolled in the charter or enrolled in your private school, but not both. Filing an affidavit won't make it possible to get around their rules if you stay in the program - it's what you do as you drop out of the program.
- Lillian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, Thank you.
i understand about the PSA. And We Do so much outside of thier curriculum. The Problem is They seem as if it's a hassle to accept sample work that is not from thier calendar.
So yes, i'm looking toward my other broader options.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post
Boy, did they blow it! They should be falling all over themselves to please you - they're getting big bucks for your enrollment in that program. There are other ways they could have gone about re-arranging that meeting without sending that kind of wording. I can't help but hope you find another way of dealing with gymnastics. You and your daughter could be doing a lot better than doing more than the lesson plans too, for that matter - you could be going in entirely different directions.

I'm not sure you're clear on how the private school affidavit works, though - it's an either/or situation - your daughter is either enrolled in the charter or enrolled in your private school, but not both. Filing an affidavit won't make it possible to get around their rules if you stay in the program - it's what you do as you drop out of the program.
- Lillian

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Peace,

My understanding of the funding issues in California might be off but I know of schools in our district that have allowed for elementary independent study students as well as partially enrolled students just so that they can get a part of the funding for that child....talk seriously with the school's administrator and ask if they would be willing to work with you. If they remain inflexible then you have your answer....

Our charter school (and a few others here in CA that I have heard of) is VERY flexible....and although I am willing to go it alone...because of them, DS can take a lot of activities that are very enriching that we couldn't afford otherwise.....we would prioritize if needed but it is nice that he can try his hand at so many things and find what he loves....right now I think it might be music. He is studying 2 instruments and wants to add a third. We certainly couldn't afford 3 on our own so it is nice to have the option to let him follow that interest.....for us, it is worth working with the charter...within reason...

GL on your path!
Tassy
DS 8, DD 4, twin DDs 2
(man I love spell check!)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
Oh, okay - great. You had said
"So, The Private School afv sounds right up our alley, do you have access to those docs or links?

As for funding, She's doing gymnastics and it's expensive, the little they give helps so much! so i'd like to keep that aspect, unless Grandma feels the urge to help!?"
- so I thought you meant you wanted to stay in the program but be covered by the PSA (people often do think they can do that).

It's too bad some of those charters don't get more creative and flexible about making their programs meet the needs of the families rather than the other way around - but they're often a lot more tied into their state's public school thinking than into homeschooling realities.

Good luck - I hope you find a comfortable way to get all your needs met.
Lillian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

...
It's too bad some of those charters don't get more creative and flexible about making their programs meet the needs of the families rather than the other way around - but they're often a lot more tied into their state's public school thinking than into homeschooling realities.

Good luck - I hope you find a comfortable way to get all your needs met.
Lillian

Yes! When Thay Said: If you'd like to use your own, or another curriculum we'll help with that too!...
It's Silly, They truly don't encourage it. And pass over my daughters work that is not on thier schedule.
:
Some of her BEST WORK Is Done Creativly and It's Amazing, when she feels free to do what she Imagines, Calculates and Thinks up!
Stifling a young Creative mind begins young in AMERICALandOfTheProgrammed!
OH No, That's Gonna Be Stricken from the REcord!
:


Peace and LOVE~*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,167 Posts
If you are in a county that is adjacent to Sonoma County, you can sign up for Pathways Charter. You still get money, but you can choose whatever materials you want to teach with. They've even been pretty cool about not using anything formal as long I can produce a sample of work each month. Language arts can literally be a sentence that ds1 wrote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
If you are in a county that is adjacent to Sonoma County, you can sign up for Pathways Charter. You still get money, but you can choose whatever materials you want to teach with. They've even been pretty cool about not using anything formal as long I can produce a sample of work each month. Language arts can literally be a sentence that ds1 wrote.
Very cool
:
No~ i'm Far Away. Was born in SantaRosa though!
Sounds like i need to Think VERY SIMPLY.

We've got our meeting tomorrow and are turning in for two sessions, Based on the first issue in First Post.

Thank you all for the support, Sharing and simple conversation.


Peace&Love~*
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top