Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi! My mom had Shingles that started two weeks ago. I just found out that she spread it to my 3 mth old niece who now has a mild case of chicken pox. My sister's family is supposed to come over in 2 days for my daughter's 1st birthday party. Is this a good opportunity for my kids to get chicken pox naturally? Would it be mild too? (Is a mild case not as good?) Both my 4yr old and 1yr old are not vaxxed except for Hep.B and they both stay at home with me. 1yr old is still nursing and I've had chicken pox when I was in Elementary school. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you so much for any advice!</p>

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
<p>Just because your niece has a mild case, it doesn't mean that your kids will be the same.  It might work out that way, but it might not. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Keep in mind that sometimes cases in children under 2 will not transfer immunity, so your 1yo may get another case later in life.  Probably not a big deal either way, but something to think about anyway. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Whether or not it is a "good time" depends on your plans for the next few weeks.  Average incubation for CP is two weeks, and could be up to 21 days.  Your kids could be shedding at any time during this period. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Some people choose to expose their kids purposefully in order to "get it over with".  Personally, although I wouldn't fret about accidental exposure and accept that my DD will likely get CP at some point, I don't think that intentionally exposing her to disease is in her best interest.  I certainly understand why other parents choose exposure, but it just isn't right for our family right now.  Only you can decide if it is right for yours.</p>

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
<p>One of the things that makes cases milder is length of exposure to the person with chicken pox--ie. second sibling to get it, who has been with a sibling with cp daily, usually has a "worse" case than someone who catches it from being with someone with cp for a 2 hour party. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't know if it would transmit. I would just look at what your life is like. I guess it's possible that everything will be calmer and no classes, etc. to miss at this time of year. What does the rest of the family think? If they're fine being around your mother with shingles and your niece/nephew with cp, then there's no reason they would feel differently about being around your kids too. But if you had lots of new years parties coming up, then I would say no, because your kids would be potentially contagious.</p>

·
Registered
201 Posts
<p> </p>
<br><br>
I would never intentionally "help" my kids contract a virus, bacteria, disease........etc.<br><br>
However if you would like to, this sounds like the perfect situation

1 - 4 of 4 Posts