Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 month old had a checkup today. He's delayed and has low iron. I've always had low iron and since he mostly breastfeeds, I'm assuming the anemia is coming from lack of iron in my milk (is this the case?) or maybe the low iron thing is hereditary and it has nothing to do with the iron level in my milk....

In any case, we both need to supplement. Can someone recommend a good, cheap, natural iron rich multivitamin for me?

I'll share with my oldest, but I still need something for my middle kids and then something for the baby.

Obviously something for my husband would be good too, but I'm assuming he'll share with me.

Any recommendations? We need cheap. I can't spend $100 a month on vitamins. There are six of us and the Floradix I bought today is about a month's supply for one person at $25 per month.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi,

We take Freeda's vitalets. You can get 250 tablets for around $17. Adults take 2, kids under 4 take 1. They are children's chewables but they cover all the bases for adults if you take 2. They are great for anemia! My 2 eldest kids have sensory issues and I find it easy enough to throw their vit's into a smoothie. These tablets dissolve easily.

HTH a little!

http://www.freedavitamins.com/index....&parent=3&pg=1

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
ferrous bis-glycinate (ferrochel is one name) is extremely well absorbed and tolerated. Floradix isn't particularly natural...it's ferrous gluconate I believe. Look on the package and see. Natural sourced iron would be liver and you'd have to eat a lot to correct a defieciency. Other "natural" forms in addition to being pricey contain substances that also block absorption of iron. I highly recommend bis-glycinate and some vitamin C. Avoid doing dairy, soy, beans, brightly colored fruits, or eggs with the iron supplement. All block iron absorption. Eggs are especially bad.

The bis-glycinate corrected my son's deficiency very quickly and others too that have asked me over the years.

Iron absorption is blocked by other minerals (and vice versa) so avoid multi vitamins with iron. When you pair it with zinc or calcium particularly something isn't going to be absorbed.

Your husband shouldn't take an iron supplement. He's likely not low--if you are worried please test before he starts taking iron. His body doesn't have any way to get rid of iron unless he gives blood regularly. Too much iron is harmful and in general men should not supplement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.