Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling lost about this! DD has mostly fitteds and so we have a million covers. Mostly prowraps but I am now pulling out the Safety First ones and another one. All of them fit her perfectly and are not too tight or anything like that. Yet she has a horrendous time with them. The first time this happened she was about a month old. Her leg (up where it connects into her hips/girly goods) looked raw. It was just red at first so I thought I was putting her diapers and covers on too tight. I did everything loose to see if that would help and rubbed some cream into it. It got worse and soon became a sore!
It ended up peeling and drying out but stayed red for a bit. After it went away I figured it was a fluke thing and thought it was the size of her cover so I got out the next size. It's happened twice more (DD is 6 months) since then and is doing it right now. It's only her covers that do it. If I leave her in just a diaper it clearsup quicker than if I covered it. They are super clean and nothing is wrong with them except what they are doing to her leg! Could it be an allergy? I do have one wool cover (needs to be washed and lanolized though so it's out of commission) and a TCT soaker. They don't bug her. I do not like going coverless so that's not really an option. Help me!!!

Here you go!

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Oh my, the poor little babe. My guess would be that her diaper is getting wet, making her leg damp, then the friction from the cover rubbing her leg is making it red like that. Try to go coverless as much as possible. Use diapers that are really absorbant and change her as often as possible so her rash stays dry. Try the wool cover out if you need her to have a cover on. Maybe it will fit differently and not rub where the rash is. If you breastfeed try putting some breastmilk on the red spot, it will help it heal up fast.

I hope some of this advice helps!

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried breastmilk and Boudreax's butt paste. She's goes diaperless during the day often to air out. I change her as quickly as I can. I've tried everything I can think of and it's not working!
It looks so painful! She doesn't seemed bothered by it but it just looks bad you know? Her wool cover doesn't effect her, but it is dirty (had a blowout the other day in it
) and it needs to be relanolized. I have to get some wool wash and I can't find my lanolin.
I'm at my rope's end! This was never an issue when she's been in sposies...
and those fit her tighter in the leg so I know it's not that.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Do all of the covers that you are using have Pul that touches the baby (I know thats how proraps are) or are you using some have that have fabric (fleece, velour. etc.) that touches baby? It looks to me that the pul is touching skin and its causing ouchies. Keep using wool or get some fleece lined covers and that should help.
Incase I lost you in my explaination, lol...here are pics of what I mean by Fleece Lined Covers

·
Registered
961 Posts
Did this just start? Is it possibly a PUL allergy or sensitivity? I know my dd used to get rashes from PUL, so we use it pretty sparingly here. I started using wool because of that and now that is pretty much all we use.

Meghann

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Some babies are sensitive to synthetic fibers and the latex in elastic. Maybe that is the problem? Give wool a try...even better give un-dyed organic wool a try, if all else fails.
Good luck to you! I have been fighting a diaper rash problem with my young toddler, but I think that I finally figured that one out (it was a different issue for us)

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No this isn't really new. The first time it happened she was about a month old. Now that I think about it I think it might be a synthetic material issues (although not entirely certain.....sposies are pretty synthetic aren't they?). She doesn't have this reaction (and any signs of a diaper rash dissapear completely) when she's in prefolds. I don't use them though cause I hate folding them! I'm about to make her some diapers so maybe I should line them with that and see if it helps? Just do fitteds and make that the inner fabric......ugh! I don't know but it kills me to know her diapers are making issues for her.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It looks like the red lines up with the serging on her covers, not really where the elastic is, right?

If so, my ds battles this too. I *think* it is when I don't rinse his diapers well enough (though I do try), some of the detergent residue sticks to the wooly nylon serging and kind of releases itself when it gets wet.

Do her fitteds have serged edges? If so, then that can't be it...unless they are all serged in cotton thread.

If your fitteds are not serged, though, it might be just the fact that there is a serged edge of these covers lining up right there...especially if she is crawling/creeping alot.

Do you use Bac-Out or anything? That made my ds's much worse.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope her diapers aren't serged. We don't use Bac-out. We recently switched to Arm and Hammer Free and Clear for sensitive skin and her diapers have NEVER been this clean. They don't have any odor (they just smell clean) and no build up. I ran them through four hot washes minus soap to make sure. I think I am just going to have to ditch my covers and go all wool/fleece.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am so glad to see this thread. I am having the same problem with my little pumpkin. If I put her in pf's and a wool cover, I don't have problems at all. I only had 2 wool covers at the time the rash/sore started and when I noticed that the wool made a huge difference, I basically got my hands on every acrylic or wool sweater in the house (that wasn't direly needed
)and made butt sweaters. It made a huge difference. Maybe you could do the same thing and see if it helps?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.