Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling really lazy right now so I don't want to do a search. What can I make that feels like I'm eating candy but is halfway decent? I have peanut butter, coconut oil, honey, some palm sugar, cocoa powder. I need something chocolately and sweet.

On another note, I've been falling of the TF bandwagon lately, mostly because I go through periods of laziness. Lately I'm just feeling totally uninspired. Does anyone have any good recipes for roasts? Not a "roast" per se, but I have a bunch of pork and beef roasts in the freezer of various kinds and I just don't know what to do with them. I don't like your typical roast/potatoes/carrots/ And sometimes I do the shredded thing like for tacos or something.

Help!!s

· Premium Member
2,997 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
Chocolates from Kelly the Kitchen Kop

I've made a super simple version of this. Just throw some coconut oil in a pan. Melt. Throw in some cocoa powder. Mix. Put in a bowl and freeze.

I've added honey too, or else no sweetener.

Sometimes i've added shredded coconut or some almonds. Sometimes I've spread some peanut butter on the top after I've taken it out of the freezer. Or poured on some peppermint extract.

I've also done the same thing with roasted carob powder, and for sure don't need a sweetener.

· Registered
1,668 Posts

· Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Quote:

Neither of these calls for peanut butter (not sure if you wanted to specifically include it or if you just have it on hand), but both have helped quench those cravings for me. The first calls for optional coconut, the second requires coconut as well as almonds and almond extract.

"Mounds" Candy Bars from the Nourishing Gourmet
The Mounds Candy bar recipe works great with peanut butter instead, and you can skip the almond extract (even with almonds, you can skip it--I don't have any). I find it very satisfying. I make them in paper cupcake liners--not ideal, but very convenient.

· Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your responses everyone! I actually found a recipe for some coconut milk/strawberry/banana ice cream on the grain-free thread. That was easy and pretty good!

Quote:

Neither of these calls for peanut butter (not sure if you wanted to specifically include it or if you just have it on hand), but both have helped quench those cravings for me. The first calls for optional coconut, the second requires coconut as well as almonds and almond extract.

"Mounds" Candy Bars from the Nourishing Gourmet
I've seen those before, never tried them though! My craving hits me like a truck and there is no time to go all out on a recipe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
There are tons of options on the nourishing gourmet site--if you just search for chocoloate. YUM.

And healthy indulgences rocks--there are lots of candy recipes--here are a couple: (you can typically sub out the stevia and other sweetners w/ honey...)

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.c...l/candy%20bars
http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.c...l/PayDay%20bar
That looks like an AWESOME site! I guess I should make some stuff up to have on hand but then I'm afraid I'll eat it all up.

I do feel good though, cause I told dp I wanted him to stop and get me a chocolate bar on his way home. Then I called and said I changed my mind cause I know how I'll feel tomorrow if I chow down on a whole bar. Which is probably why I'm feeling so crappy today because I had a bunch of junk at a superbowl party yesterday.

· Registered
698 Posts
I'm replying about the roasts... I've got two really good ideas for pork roasts that, IMO, are SUPER good. Lazy too. *haha*

Pork and Potato Burritos(not your run of the mill meat and potato dish, reliant on healthy tortillas though)

Take your pork roast(bony is better) and cover it with water. Throw is a BUNCH of peeled garlic cloves, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cover with water and cook until your meat is tender. When tender, pull the meat out of the pot, de-bone, and cut up or shred. Throw it back in the pot, squash the cooked garlic with a spoon, add a bunch of diced potatoes, a couple cans(wish I could find a jarred source) of green chilis(this is important, frozen Anaheims work well too) and some MORE garlic, frozen corn, and a diced onion. Cook until the potatoes are done. Serve with your favorite shredded cheese in a tortilla topped with sour cream. In a pinch, this also makes an awesome stew. Definitely going to need a fork to eat it though. My kids love this!

What my mom calls "cowboy beans"... Do the same things as above pretty much, using soaked pinto beans(going in at the beginning with the meat) and omitting the corn. Serve over cornbread. My kids also love this. Crazy, I hated beans when I was a kid, but could live off this now.

Beef roasts can be cooked the same way and incorporated into stews and what not. Somehow nothing seems easier to me than throwing a big chunk of frozen meat in a pot these days. *haha* That gives me all day to think about what the heck to do with the meat when it's done at the end of the day.
Beef roasts boiled like heck make awesome pulled barbecue sandwiches. Chop up the meat and throw it in some white gravy over potatoes or biscuits or toast? No limit really to what you can do with a bunch of pre-cooked meat. This all coming from a girl that doesn't generally like a big slab of meat on her plate, I'd rather make it into something, ya know?

· Registered
5,070 Posts
I satisfy a chocolate craving with this - I guess if you roll it into balls, it's a chocolate truffle, but I just cut it into squares. The original recipe I adapted this from gave instructions to roll it into logs while it's still warm, and cut into 1" candies & wrap them up. It is a good idea to keep it sealed so it doesn't dry out.

8oz good dark chocolate (chips or a broken up bar)
1/3c. real maple syrup
1tsp organic flavoring (orange is terrific!)

Melt the chocolate, stir in the syrup and flavoring. Add a little more syrup if it seems hard to stir. Pour it out onto parchment paper, flatten to 1/2" thick and let cool several hours.

I can only eat one or two at a time which is plenty. This keeps me away from those giant cartons of Whoppers.

· Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok today I made the Kelly the Kitchen Kop recipe and it totally hit the spot! Didn't need much either. It was just equal parts coconut oil/cocoa/honey and I added some pb. Poured on a tray and froze...YUM. Now I have some in the freezer for when I need a nibble.

As for the roast, I did cook it up with some garlic. Now I have to figure out what to do with it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.