Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background...
dd is 2.5, still nursing, home with mama, very intense and sensitive, becoming a big sister in about 7 weeks.
dh is gone during the day 6 days a week (he is a full time student and works almost full time) but when he is home, he is totally devoted to her and infinitely more patient than I am!

for about 2 weeks now, dd has become incredibly hostile toward dh...screaming at him when he comes home or walks into the room...refusing to answer/respond to him with anything other than nonsensical hostile sounds...and now it has escalated to hitting him.

she is not doing any of this with me and when I scold her for acting this way toward dh, it just seems to exacerbate the situation? she will even ask me after she has done something to dh if "mommy is really happy?". so, she is either worried about losing my approval if she acts this way? or she thinks she'll gain my approval if she acts this way?

this is not constant...though it is consistent when he enters the house/room or takes over for me...but otherwise they will fall into their happy play routine...until I enter again.

so there seems to be a definite tie to me.

is she thinking she cannot act loving/love both of us at the same time?

is this baby related? ped said recently she notices a distinct change in behavior of toddler females about 2 months out from baby's due date. is she anticipating "my" time with her being taken by bay and taken over by dh?

how should we respond? I do not for an instant want her to think I condone her hostility toward dh...and it is really starting to hurt dh's feelings...but I also don't want her to feel rejected by me is she is acting out of fear/anxiety about baby coming!

help help please...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I don't know, but DS has just started doing this to DH. When he comes home he cries and says, "I don't WANT Dada to be home from work!" It makes DH very sad. I am hoping it is just a phase. DS is 2.5 and his DD is 5.5 months, but this just started very recently.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
My DD does the same thing to my DH. She is almost 2.5. Sometimes she'll be hateful towards him as soon as he walks in the door, other times they'll be happily interacting and suddenly she'll hit him in the face (never, ever does that to me or anyone else) and she'll scream at him, won't let him near her. It really hurts his feelings. She's been doing it on and off since right before she turned two, it just started out of the blue.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi, DD just went thru a phase like that. My answer - she spent even more time with DH. Once i was gone for a while they were best buds. So whatever was goin on with her had nothing to do with the strength of their bond.

But she got pretty nasty their for a bit. He would smile at her and shed screach and turn away... lol.. so glad thats done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.