Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DD has been a great napper for the most part. I would  be fine if she stopped napping if the lack of a nap did not make her completely irritatable. In the past when she hasn't napped she goes down VERY easily at around 8PM and sleeps through the night no problem. She's 2.5 years old and for the past two weeks no nap and she's not going to bed until around midnight and then wakes up very early in the morning.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Could this be related to her new found toilet training skills or is there something I'm missing? She's not sick. Plays the same. She is a bit more clingy than usual. Is there something I'm missing here.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
390 Posts
<p>My dd went through something very similar this summer when she was around 2.5.  We had been on vacation (where she napped normally and everything was fine) then once we got home she just stopped.  She was tired, irritable, not going down any earlier at night.  Obviously not getting enough sleep.  Since it happened so suddenly, I knew that it was not the end of her naps.  I just stuck with our usual routine and even though she didn't sleep, she at least was getting a little rest.  Then I found something that just worked for her... pajamas!  She started to ask to wear her pajamas.  I thought it was a stall tactic, but in desperation finally decided to let her wear them.  That worked like a charm and she has been napping every since.  She also asked for her bedtime routine (same verse, song and story) which is different from her nap routine.  Somehow that was what she needed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not suggesting that pajamas will be the key for your DD.  More just wanted to let you know that we went through a similar phase and came out the other side.  I'd suggest that you just keep making the opportunity for naps to happen.  It was a whole month, maybe even 6 weeks, before they came back.  But they did come back, and at this young age, they really do need to have that rest in the day, even if they don't sleep.   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>It probably is developmental or something else going on in her life right now.  Maybe there is something she just needs to have adjusted in her routine or added.  So, don't give up!  Hang in there. She will probably come back around to naps again.  It isn't easy, though, I know!</p>

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thanks MamaRuga.Your story is inspiring and makes me hopeful. Last night we put her down at 7 but she didn't fall asleep until 8.She woke up about 10 because she pooped. I changed her and told her timeto go back to sleep. She did within 15 minutes. Today though no nap. I will put her down again at 7 and will try the PJ's during nap time tomorrow. If that works for her I'm happy to do it. I'll also try adjusting some other things in her pre-nap routine.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I wonder if she's having a growth spurt. Her dad came home last week and said she looks like she grew since morning. Her eating is off too whch often happens during a spurt. She either has a very hearty appetite or a small one. I'm looking at her now and she looks like she'll fall asleep standing up.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts