Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm over 10 weeks pregnant, and can find no homebirth midwives... I was told to look here to see if anyone knew anyone... Please help, this is the final straw in my heartbreak over this city... I feel like a fool for bringing my poor two year old here, and I don't know how I am going to have a UC with her here. A hospital birth is not an option, I will move first. I just am so upset over all of this!! I feel like my stress is held in my belly, and I know the baby can feel it!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaM View Post
Check out Birthpartners.com. They are both listed there.
Kami, The Midwife in covington lost her license and by law can't practice in LA.
If you need help getting Emmy T's info IM me and I will get it to you.
T

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
hey, are you still looking? if so, i'll start putting out feelers for doulas. i'm not sure if the one i knew returned after katrina (sorry). my last child was born 7 months before the storm, so i never checked out birth stuff post-storm.

btw, what general area are you in? I think it makes a big difference as to how you feel about how the city is doing. also, are you stay at home or do you work/study/otherwise get out for long periods of time during the week?

maybe it's time to try to pull the nola moms back together. it has been hard since the storm. of the nola moms on mothering that i knew, one lost her home entirely and three had significant damage. for a few years, it was a really hard life here with trying to rebuild and hang on and people losing jobs, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Doula's in the NOLA area:

Anna Zeringue
504/885-8065
Birth Doula

Crys Aprill
504/352-8521
Doula and Birth Consultation, Childbirth Preparation, Aquadoula Rentals

Heidi Gonzales
504/455-4815 or 504/931-0340
Birth Doula

Heidi Rau
504/453-2634
Birth Doula, Childbirth Preparation

Helena Midkiff
504/887-5074
Birth Doula

Karen Henshaw
985/264-8372 or 985/809-7751
Birth Doula, Bradley Method Childbirth Preparation

Trista Schoonover
504/458-7858
Licensed Massage Therapist

Tera Smith/Mother's Touch Doula
985-634-6124
Birth Doula, Birth Tub Rentals, Breastfeeding support

Jakeia Porter
850/528-9565
Birth Doula, Post-Partum Doula

Deborah Donahoe
504/888-4234 or 504/220-8592
Post-Partum Doula

MIDWIVES IN THE NOLA AREA:
Emmy Trammell, CPM, LM
Ponchatoula, LA
985/386-8074 or 985-974-2724

Rebecca Hageman
985-789-8956

Ester and Cathy Badeaux:
Woman to Woman Birth Services
3615 Prytania st
New Orleans
504-272-0681
Delivering at Touro

Margaret Tennyson, RN, DNS, CNM
Daughters of Charity
3900 S Carrollton Ave
New Orleans, LA 70118
(504) 482-0084
She sees low income mothers as Daughters of Charity is a sliding scale clinic and encourages her patients to have natural childbirth.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thank you so much Tera! I don't know if crybaby is still looking but you have helped me!

And tug ... I'm not in NOLA but south of the city. It's still a hard life here. And I hear you, it's time to start having meetups or something. I always planned to go to LLL meetings, etc, but the hospital (West Jeff) was SO horrible and that's where the meetings are! I couldn't believe it! There's no way I'm going back in that building just for a LLL meeting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks yall,
i'm seeing emmy, she seems pretty mellow and cool. I think that it is really hard to find women here right now because everything is so messed up... I live right between mid-city and treme, and my house is one of the only re-built houses on the block. full of empty lots and drug dealers, with gun shots almost every night. I feel like I am living back in california again... there aren't any playgrounds around here, and I don't have a car, so it is really hard on my little one... bus service is ten times worse than before k. I heard that there is an ap meetup group for nola, but I was thinking about starting one anyway. I hang out at the iron rail a lot, and I was thinking of putting up some posters for a pot-luck at my house... of course, not too many people at the iron rail have kids... mostly young crusties, but a few people do... anyway, emmy told me that there are quite a few home birthers in this area... i'll start looking, I found the meetup group on craigslist, but i wasn't able to view the page because i didn't sign up... anyone that wants to can pm me... we can get the little ones together or something, i know that my girl and i both feel so isolated, doesn't even feel like the city that I grew up in. just a warning, my girl always thinks that other little kids are trying to eat her when they come to play... just a phase i guess.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just wanted to say Hi to you Crybaby! My family is close with Emmy and I used her as a doula/monitrice with my first birth and will be having a homebirth with her in November. She absolutely wonderful, and I am sure you'll have a fantastic experience with her! Congrats on your pregnancy and I"m sure you'll find some like-minded mamas in NOLA.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am a midwifery student of Emmy's, if there is anything I can do for you mommy's let me know. That is what we are here for.
I know there is an AP/Crunchy NOLA group on meetup.com.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.