Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in Hawaii, on a vacation, and Dh really over did it with the sun. He got burned and the last 2 days he's felt awful. Chills, really tired, sometimes nausea, little appetite, headache. Basically he's been in bed.

Tonight, I called a couple immediate care places and one said we could only come in the morning because we have to make an appt. since it's not an emergency. what!? ...but that if he needs IV fluids, they can't do that, we have to go to the hospital. When I called the 2nd place I told them what was wrong and the lady on the phone was like "What do you mean he's dehydrated? Is he going to need IV fluids?" I'm like, umm, I don't know, I'm not a doctor, that's why I'm calling you! Anyway, they seem less than competant, and the hospital is a 40 minute drive and Dh doesn't want to go that far.

What should I do? I've got him drinking water and gatorade. (I wasn't really reminding him to drink, like I had been doing at the beginning of the trip, and I realized he wasn't drinking enough after his big sun day.....so now it's back to the constant reminders) I think I'll head to the store and get a thermometer.

Any advice?

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
He can drink, right? Have him drink lots of electrolyte containing drinks - gatorade, propel, there are some waters with electrolytes in them. Also, keep him cooled off - he's gonna loose a lot of fluid through evaporation. A nice lukewarm bath or putting cool (not cold, cool to tepid) towels on his chest and back can help - obviously not if he has blisters there.
Can he pee? That's a big warning sign if he cannot make urine enough to pee.
It's not really something that you can work with over the internet - he might have to go in if he gets worse. Your looking at heat exhaustion vs. sunburn and trying to determine the extent.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got a thermometer his temp is 102.7

I've got a cool towel on his forehead, have him drinking electrolyte drinks, gave some tylenol pm (pain reliever, fever reducer, sleep aid).

...and he is peeing.

I guess I'm just going to closely monitor him and see how he does. I think he's starting to feel better. He was very adamant about not going to the hospital tonight (because of the drive), but if he isn't any better in the morning, we'll probably go.

Any other input is definitely appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Personally I say go to the hospital NOW. Do not wait. I don't mean to be an alarmist but my mom's co-worker died from heat stroke last year. Mid-40's and in good health, she had many of the symptoms you are describing after a day in the sun, went to take a nap to sleep it off and was later found dead.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So that post really scared me. I checked his temp again and it was at 103.5

I made the drive to the hospital...was very shocked at the unprofessionalism in the Maui ER. But, we got in, and the doctor didn't do anything. He thought he "must have caught a bug" and said he didn't "look" dehydrated. I was like "um, shouldn't you check his blood and see how dehydrated he might be?" but he just didn't think he was dehydrated. So they sent us off with a rec. to take tylenol for the fever. His fever was down to 100.3 at that time, because the tylenol I had given him previously started kicking in. I said "what about IV fluids" and he said there was no point, if he's not vomiting, because he can drink.

So, anyway the drive was really stressful for me (dark, rainy, unfamiliar place, curvy coastal roads, fearing my husbands health, late at night, etc.) I feel kinda bad for going, since nothing was done, but at least I'm not sitting around wondering what to do and hoping I'm not making a mistake by not going.

Oh, hospitals......in Maui.
:

(thanks to those who replied)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I hope your DH is doing better.

I was a Navy Corpsman and worked with Marine Corps recruits for 18 months, so I'm familiar with heat illnesses. It's possible that the doctor at the ER didn't feel it was a heat illness because the fever dropped after being given Tylenol. Antipyretics don't have any effect on heat-related fevers.

And actually, IIRC, someone suffering from a heat illness shouldn't be given Tylenol or any antipyretic. Heat illnesses cause problems in many body systems, and are already over-taxing the liver, where Tylenol is metabolized.

It's possible that your DH did overdo it in the heat, but also caught a mild bug.

In the future, if you're ever dealing with a heat illness, rapid cooling of the person's body is far more important than rehydrating them. Cold packs in the armpits, groin, and behind the neck are extremely helpful. It's better to try and cool people off without making them shiver, because shivering produces heat.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hope he's doing better, too. I really didn't want to scare you, but it's better to know, I think. Everyone was really blindsided by my mom's co-worker's death, because she didn't seem that bad off. Just feeling a little off and really tired. I can't believe they wouldn't do anything to make sure he was okay!
: I'd be writing a letter of complaint if it were me. Just take tylenol for the fever? A fever isn't a sickness, it's a symptom, and unless it had gotten quite a bit higher, it wasn't going to hurt him. It's the cause of the fever that needs to be dealt with!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, he may have gotten the flu. We were just thinking that, when we saw a "flu shots here" sign, outside of the grocery store.

He's doing better, but still not feeling well.

Our trip is actually two weeks long. The first week was great, but on this second week, we just sort of wish we were home. (which is an awful thing to say when you're in Hawaii, I know!
Now we're staying in a very remote area, which makes things even more...um...interesting. (no AC, outdoor bathrooms, 1 shack-like store that closes at 7:00, no cell phone reception, etc....interestingly enough, there is free wifi) It's a great experience, but not so much when your dh is sick.

This trip is our attempt at a last big adventure getaway before we start trying for a family. Dh wanted more "adventure" in his life. LOL, I think he's adventured-out for a good while now.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Are you doing aloe or vinegar or anything to cool off his skin?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.