Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently started using cloth wipes and love them ,my poor lil man screams every time I put a cold cloth on his bum...so we have been using the wipes warmers BUT after maybe 48 hours I get this horrible burnt kinda yucky corn smell ??? I tried the little pad they came with ( it was fresh and new ) and those still smell the same way.

Does anyone have good success with the warmers and cloth wipes? Please share your secret!

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KBinSATX View Post
My secret is:

warm water from the faucet!

Seems like storing them moist and warm would just breed bacteria, wouldn't it?
I stack them dry and make them wet with warm water when I get ready to use them.
I know I have been adding some TT oil but our changing table is no where near the faucet ( we have a huge old house) and the water takes forever to get even a bit warm!

· Registered
1,190 Posts
We use the wipes warmer from Dex, not the Prince Lionheart one. It doesn't have that silly pad in it, and it warms from the top down. Wet wipes go in with a few drops of TTO. Or, I put in dry wipes and squirt on a squeezy bottle full of water, a little baby oil and a little baby shampoo, plus the few drops of TTO. We move through the whole stack within two to three days and we've never gotten a funky smell.

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpmandee View Post
We use the wipes warmer from Dex, not the Prince Lionheart one. It doesn't have that silly pad in it, and it warms from the top down. Wet wipes go in with a few drops of TTO. Or, I put in dry wipes and squirt on a squeezy bottle full of water, a little baby oil and a little baby shampoo, plus the few drops of TTO. We move through the whole stack within two to three days and we've never gotten a funky smell.

ok maybe we are on to something as I think I have the prince lionhart ones.....hhmmm!!

· Registered
665 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_ca View Post
We use something like this. Fill it up once or twice/day and it stays warm!
What a great idea - thanks in ca!!! I'm not the OP but I've been wondering the same thing. For now, my baby can't roll over and so I just leave him on the bed while I go wet the wipe in the bathroom, but I've been wondering what I'd do in a few months when I won't be able to just leave him there.

· Registered
1,670 Posts
I had a lionheart one and kept the dry clean wipes outside of the warmer. I filled the warmer with warm water with a tiny squirt of Dr. Bronners soap. Maybe an inch of water? I changed it every other day. Worked great. Just dip your wipe into the warm water as you need them.

· Registered
2,453 Posts
We have one that doesn't take the pads. I just stack the wipes inside and then make up a solution of water, a little squirt of baby soap and a few drops of oil. I pour the solution into the warmer until all the wipes are saturated. If the wipes start to dry out before we've used them all I just add more water.

We've never had any scorching problems.

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
We have one that doesn't take the pads. I just stack the wipes inside and then make up a solution of water, a little squirt of baby soap and a few drops of oil. I pour the solution into the warmer until all the wipes are saturated. If the wipes start to dry out before we've used them all I just add more water.

We've never had any scorching problems.
do you have the dex or the prince lionheart?

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden View Post
I had a lionheart one and kept the dry clean wipes outside of the warmer. I filled the warmer with warm water with a tiny squirt of Dr. Bronners soap. Maybe an inch of water? I changed it every other day. Worked great. Just dip your wipe into the warm water as you need them.
i like that idea, did the solution ever smell bad?

· Registered
1,670 Posts
No, not really, because I didn't put that much in there. maybe an inch, if that. And because it was just a small amt and easy to disconnect the plug from the warmer, I would just bring it to the sink to rinse out occasionally. It was way more reliable in the stink dept. that way. I did the same thing with wipes when I was out of the house. I kept a litte squirt bottle with wipe solution and squirted it on the wipes as I used them. I did this after about the fourth time of going to change a diaper while out and discovering some f.u.n.k.y wipes in the waterproof bag. I didn't change dipes out much so this was a total PITA. And sure you can add all those things that may make it last longer - Tea tree oil, GSE, etc. Peppermint soap and water worked just fine though.

· Registered
190 Posts
We have used the Munchkin brand for 2 years and it has been great! stack the wipes, add the solution over the top and it is nice and warm on the LO bum!

I have not had as much success with other warmers. this one I purchased at target for about $20.

· Registered
120 Posts
I use distilled water and some vit E oil along with castile soap and a few drops of lavender EO. The distilled water doesn't contain the trace minerals that bacteria need to breed and the vit E oil is a natural preservative. It worked for me to get rid of the stink.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinAmber View Post
and the vit E oil is a natural preservative.
Here's a great site for info on antioxidants and preservatives and the difference between the two:
http://www.soapnaturally.org/natural...ervatives.html

I think the difference is really important. In my oil only products I can use an antioxidant. I use Rosemary Oil Extract - a proven natural antioxidant that helps to keep the oils from going rancid.

In emulsions -mixtures between oils and water I have to use a preservative.

· Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone know where I can buy (on-line) a 220 volt wipe warmer? We just moved to Korea, and in 3 months of searching, I have been unable to find one here.
Now my baby is here, my cloth wipes are all ready to go, but I have no warmer! Please help!!

· Registered
497 Posts
I use the prince lionheart warmer with pad as well. I have a small bowl that I keep near the warmer and when I notice the wipes getting low I just put some warm water in the bowl, mix a squirt of baby oil and a squirt of baby wash in with the water. Then I put the wipes in the warmer and pour the solution over them I use Thirsties velour wipes which don't absorb too quickly so I usually add only 2-3 wipes at a time, pour a little, add more wipes, pour, etc. Its worked really well for us so far and I've had no stink or scorch with the pad.....I usually have to refill every 2 days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.