Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I've just started expressing because I'm returning to work two days per week next week and I want DS (12 months) to have EBM while I'm away.  Problem is we've tried giving it to him in a variety of cups and sippy cups and he seems to find it distasteful.  He scrunches up his little face and pushes the cup away.  He's not taking it from the nanny either so is mostly having water and only a couple bites of food when I'm away.  Is this a common problem?  I suspect he just likes the traditional delivery mechanism but wondering if the taste changes once it's been refrigerated.  Any suggestions for how I can encourage him to drink it?  Also, if he doesn't start drinking it, should I keep pumping while I'm at work anyway, just to maintain supply or will two eight hour stretches away not really affect my supply?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
870 Posts
<p>Going to bump this up, because I was coming to post an almost identical question.  My DD is almost 10 months old.  Will take juice from a bottle.  She's got severe allergies and very few safe foods, so I am not able to leave her.  I had a bad stomach bug last week and was dehydrated and my milk supply suffered.  She wouldn't take the little bit of pumped stash I had.  Just looked at DH like he had 2 heads.  </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
<p>Excess lipase?  Taste your milk and see if it tastes soapy.  If that's the problem you can scald your milk after you pump it to inactivate the lipase and it won't go "bad" so quickly.</p>

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
<p>I stopped pumping for DD when she was 13 mo. Since it's just 2 days a week, as long as you're comfortable and don't get engorged, I'd skip the pump and just let him have solids, water, and some other milk (goat's is a good option if you don't want to start him on regular cow's milk yet).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How have you been serving it to him? DD was 10 mo when I went back to school with her, and just took her bm cold in a sippy. If you're warming it you might have better luck serving it to him cold.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts