Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not me, but my friend. She had a baby a few days ago on the morning of the 6th, and her baby is doing pretty well, but breastfeeding isn't going as well as it could. She is slightly jaundiced, elevated levels but not enough to hospitalize or a bili blanket. She is still sorta in that newborn haze. She at one point was going 5 hours between feedings. I encouraged my friend to wake her up and try to feed her as often as she could. She is trying every 1.5 hours now, and it's going pretty well on the right side, but her left side, she is having some problems with. Baby will get on, and NOT eat. She's latched, but will just sit there. Won't suck no matter what we do, stroke the cheek, strip her down, change positions, nothing. My friends nipple is slightly flatter on that side, but not substantially. She is getting massively engorged on that side because the baby won't eat off of that side. She is using my pump to express milk (I already warned her not too much to mess with her supply) and to pull her nipple out a little bit, but baby still won't nurse on that side. She is going to see an LC if things don't improve by tomorrow afternoon. Any ideas for her? We are sort of at loss, and she is getting very frustrated.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Sounds alot like my story. First I what I did about the side that he would not "eat" from I messaged my breast on that side.(when he was on)I also just did not give up. Next I used a cold wash cloth to really wake him up. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Have you tried holding the baby in different positions on that side?<br>
What about medela therashells to help draw out the nipple?<br><a href="http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/breastcare.html" target="_blank">http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/breastcare.html</a>

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sometimes babes get a little trauma during birth that can make some positions uncomfortable. You may look into a chiropractor or cranio-sacral provider to help. They can check for misalignments and gently correct it.<br><br>
Until then, try laying her on the same side (as she likes), but just slide her to the other breast. If you are laying down, lean forward until she can nurse from the top breast or put her feet up by your head, so she is still on the preferred side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts