Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2nd baby is due in 5 weeks. I am not scared of labor I am scared of breastfeeding again. I will not bottlefeed.

I homebirthed DS and then kinda figured out breastfeeding on my own. My midwife said I was doing a good job, but I never ever felt confident. He weaned himself at 14 months. He never liked bfing. He is not a cuddler. I slept with him for 6 months. That was the worst 6 months of my life. I was dedicated to doing what I thought he needed most and learned that his personality is independant. He always had an arm pushing me away while trying to eat, but he nursed a lot and is still very very small. We had many many many bfing issues and with great books I struggled through and we both survived, but I want to thrive this next time.

Who can I go to as a homebirther if I need support for this next baby so it can be an enjoyable experience. I want to love bfing. I live 1 1/2 hr from a le leche league. I never called a bfing consultant because I was afraid of how much it would cost. What are my options? Where can I go for help this next time? How much does help cost?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
La Leche League can be such a wonderful resource--even if you do not attend the meetings! My local LLL leader answers her phone to help with BF questions day and night. Maybe you can attend one or two meetings before the new baby arrives, just to introduce yourself?

Also, no two babies are the same and your new baby may be very different from your first child when it comes to breast feeding. Perhaps the fact that you are an experienced nurser at this point will help you to feel more confident.

Best wishes to you!!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Your 2nd baby will have his or her own personality and may have none of the issues your first baby had. Besides- you successfully BF for 14m without needing any formula supplementation- he was probably small because that's what was perfectly healthy and normal for HIM.

I think you're just having a normal "pg mama worry moment" and everything is going to be just fine. Your midwife will be available for any postpartum questions you have- whether it involves breastfeeding or postpartum bleeding or anything else that might come up. You can also ask here on MDC if anything comes up- and probably get a response faster than your MW could call back!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I agree about the personality thing. Different babies have different personalities. Even as far as breastfeeding goes. I have four children, they were all different, my first was very independent, and my youngest is the exact opposite. Make sure you get off to a good start, if you are doing a homebirth, that helps bc no hospital policies and procedures to interefere with bonding. Make sure you and baby go skin to skin as soon as baby is born, thats great for breastfeeding and bonding. La Leche now has a 24 hour helpline, so if a meeting is far away and hard to get to, you still have a valuable resourxce via phone. Also lots of online support can help too
)

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
I agree with the others about babies being so different. My boys (oldest and youngest kids) are both snugglebugs, and my daughter (middle child) has always wanted downdowndown to explore and do her own thing. She will be 2 on the 29th and will just now sit on the couch with me for an extended period of time! My boys, though, have always wanted to be held constantly.

I hope your new baby is a snuggly, cuddly baby who loves being held/nursed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.