Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<br>
I posted almost a week ago about my four and a half month old dd having the sniffles. Well, I upped my intake of Vit C, also taking acidophilis, and a little echinacea.<br>
I thought her cold was going away, but the last two days she has been really congested and more grumpy. The sodium ascorbate is on it's way in the mail, should I give some to her? I don't want to visit the doctor for unecessary antibiotics, decongestant, etc....but I'm starting to worry a bit more since it's been a week now. How long should I wait before taking her to the doctor?<br>
My husband wants to know if giving her Vit C is safe, what can I give him to read? I appreciate your help on any of the subjects. I'm a new first mom and am second guessing my decision to keep her away from the doctor for colds, or other minor illnesses.<br>
Thanks for your help, Tara

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi Tara!<br>
There is nothing your doctor can do to help your child through a cold.Going to a doctors office at this time would only expose her to whatever the other children visiting at that time have!<br><br>
A good book for parents is called Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child by Janet Zand et al.I have the old copy,and can't wait to get the new one.It covers illness,injuries,a bit on nutrition.Gives allopathic(conventional meds) and alternative treatment options.The healthy.net page has some of the older book pages online,and I will go get the link for the cold section.<br>
As for the safety of vitC there might be some old threads on it here or in the vaccination forum so do a search,or do a google.com search on it.If the body takes in excess VitC it gets peed out.<br>
When my kids are sick I give sodium ascorbate,and one of the herbs for kids tinctures.I have some sambucol(unused so far),and sometimes they get the NOW chewables(hate chewables) with elderberry,zinc,propolis,slippery elm in it.They like the vitC and zinc lollipops too.-<br><br>
Sara<br><br>
here is that link for you:<a href="http://www.healthy.net/clinic/dandc/colds/" target="_blank">http://www.healthy.net/clinic/dandc/colds/</a>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts