Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am writing to ask for help for a friend I know from online. She has a two year old little boy who is intact. Recently at a check-up she was told by the doctor to "pull the skin" back. The parents hadn't been doing this before, but started after the doctor told them to. After this check-up, the child started crying and complaining of pain. His penis is red and swollen. They took the child back to the doctor who tested for UTI and it came back negative. The doctor's office has made a referral to a urologist first for January and then then they were able to get an appointment for December 4. The mom is having her son sit in a warm bath and is applying neosporin plus pain relief. She says he is crying so much that she is considering taking him to the ER. I offered to ask on here and get any help and advice you all can give. Until she and I were talking, she wasn't aware that the only person who should retract a boy was the boy himself. I have sent her the link to nocirc.org. Thank you very much for any help you can give.

Jeni

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I would immediatly stop retracting him, which I'm sure you told her already. I'm not sure what you can do for the pain. I'msure someone else will have better advice.
I really wish doctors would stop giving parents such horrid advice (retracting) and realize the harm it does.
Poor little guy, I hope he heals quickly!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
chamomile tea? Is the foreskin now stuck behind the glans? I wish FS were still around; he used to get right on these with the best advice. Definitely stop the neosporin; maybe an ice pack?

then help her find a lawyer when this is over
:
asswipe doctor! This is a combination of sexual abuse and malpractice on the doc's part and unless he gets a summons he'll keep "advising" that mothers do this.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Okay, here goes. First, that doctor is sorely misinformed; no one but the child should EVER retract the foreskin. There is also no "magic age" for retraction, in some kids it happens in toddlerhood, in others it takes until the late teens. ANY variation is perfectly normal. Second, I'd advise AGAINST going to that urologist IF the swelling and redness is gone by the time of the appointment. Let me say I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so take my advice for what it's worth. I'd hazard a guess that the pain and redness are caused by the retraction, and if your friend leaves it alone it will go back to normal fairly quickly. Third, have your friend register for MDC (if possible) and PM Dave2GA. He's a lawyer out of Atlanta and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to fire off a letter to this doctor. Not a threat to sue, just letting him know he's practicing bad medicine in this aspect and should stop.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Retracting him has probably allowed a infection to start
Make 100% sure no one ever retracts him again. He may need a culture done to check and see what kind of bacteria is there. That is done by simply swabbing the very tip of the foreskin only NO RETRACTION. And see what grows so that the proper antibiotic can be prescribed. A broad spectrum antibiotic will NOT work it has to be case specific.

Your friend should contact Dave2GA and have him send a letter to the dr who told her to do this so that maybe she will learn and quit hurting little boys.

If the foreskin is back in the right position tell her to not touch it any more. No neosporine like some have mentioned it burns and can be very irritating on the genitals. If she can breastmilk works wounders. a VERY diluted solution of tea tree oil is also good.

If it is behind the head of the penis then steps must be taken ASAP to fix that or he will be in serious trouble. If it is I have a link on how to fix that without circ.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
WHY do doctors think Neosporin plus a PENIS is a good idea. Godddd.

Anyway. No retracting, no neosporin. Warm baths with baking soda.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Hi from another Jeni!

If she's not able to find answers on the nocirc or other sites, she can call someone from the list of centers. If she's thinking about an ER trip, she might not want to take the time to comb through the internet and it might be more helpful to talk to a real person.

When things have calmed down a bit, she should inform the doctor that he is giving outdated and harmful advice; either by sending him a letter with attachments or having someone send him a more official letter. We can help with that. It's important not just for this little guy but any others that this doctor sees, kwim?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts