Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So we are home now, going on day 3 and every night my son has had bad gas issues. He strains and screams until he toots then is ok. Last night it got so bad I ran out to the store and got some gripe water for him. It seems to have helped but he is still in pain. He is taking 3 oz every 4 hours of Enfamil Enfa Care for Preemies and about 1 feed of breastmilk a day. He tends to get gassy after having formula all day then when we give him the breast milk he does fine until his next feed. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any suggestions on how to help him get the gas out? We go see the ped next week for the 1st  time and wonder if she would put him on a different formula. I am almost tempted to take him to a urgent care if it keeps up but fear he might catch something while there or they tell us to change formulas.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any help would be great! Thanks!!!!!</p>

·
Registered
51 Posts
<p>Call your pediatrician, they usually have a standard "progression" of formulas---if a doesn't work, then b, and so on---and they can tell you by phone.  It's worth a try.  I wouldn't go to urgent care, they don't have true peds there.</p>

·
Registered
174 Posts
<p>My preemie was on Neosure and had gas issues too.  I think it is a combo of an underdeveloped gastro system and the high calorie formula.  We got to the point that we put gripe water in most of his bottles.</p>
<p>We also did stomach massage and bicycle legs alot. </p>
<p>A really big help for us was to wear him in the moby, the upright way, his belly to my belly with his legs pulled inside.  (the newborn hug hold-like this) <a href="http://www.mobywrap.com/t-instructions-NewBorn.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.mobywrap.com/t-instructions-NewBorn.aspx</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>At every Dr's visit we requested a formula change, and they would always say 'maybe next time'.  Finally at 6 months the dr's ok'd it, but we had to push them on it. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I wouldnt go to urgent care either.</p>
<p>One other thing-now that he is on solids, he is having gas again, so be sure to introduce them slowly.</p>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Thanks for the reply... we saw the ped yesterday and he told us that c-section babies dont have a chance to get the good bacteria that colonizes in their gut  and helps with digestion because they didnt come through the birth canal and ingest the bacteria. He thinks this is what is causing my son to have the gas issues. So we are taking vitman D, colostrum and good bacteria that we are adding to his formula. The dr said this should take effect quickly (fingers crossed!). I have a sleepy wrap that we use often and he seems to really enjoy it! However, he can't stay in there too long because he gets so hot so fast! </p>

·
Registered
174 Posts
<p>I wish someone had given me the advice on good bacteria 10 months ago!  Maybe time to switch peds.......After reading your post I decided to start him on probiotics.  Hope it works, we have had a couple of bad gas nights in a row.  (After a long period of good nights...sigh)</p>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are taking a supplement called daycare defense (lol!!!) it has all good bacteria, vit d and colostrum mixed together. My son is taking 5 billon colony factors a day, (1/2 teaspoon). It has worked wonders! He's pooping like a breastfed baby but he is on straight formula now.<br><br>
If you want to change peds look for a holistic or natural practice dr. We were hesitant at first but now LOVE our ped. He has all the same philosophy on meds and vacines that we have and only gives clean vacanies on adjusted age. They also only give single vacanies, never combine which is nice as well. If your in the dfw area let me know I'll give you the name.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts